Accidently unistalled Appleworks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toby Beau, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Toby Beau macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    This is my first post.
    In case it matters, I have an iBook G4 with OS X 3.9

I was cleaning up my desktop and I wanted to take the AppleWorks shorcut off the desktop b/c I had one on the little toolbar at the bottom. Then I emptied the trash to clear up my hard drive.

Apparently I completely uninstalled the program! How the hell does that work? I don't understand why it wouldn't warn me before I uninstall something! I mean, sometimes when I want to move a document to a new folder, it prompts me to put in a password to authenticate it... but when I toss a whole program in the trash, it completely uninstalls it no questions asked.

Any advice?

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Do you have the original install discs for your iBook? That would be the easiest way to get it back.

3. Toby Beau thread starter macrumors newbie

I never got an install disc. I bought this thing used from a Mac supplier. Maybe I should take it back there. It think it's just so weird that it would let me completely uninstall a program just by dragging the avatar into the trash.

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

man... thats rough, since appleworks is old too, I don't even know where you could get a copy, maybe ebay?

OpenOffice would be a replacement, but that wont help you with the appleworks formatted documents you might already have.

5. portent macrumors 6502a

If it was installed, it will be in your Applications folder. Removing the icon from the Dock would not remove the copy in your Applications folder.

It's possible that whoever owned the computer before had already deleted it before you got the computer. Then all you had was a broken alias in your Dock, and it wouldn't have mattered what you did.

6. Toby Beau thread starter macrumors newbie

No way, I've been using Appleworks constantly for over a year. I use it everyday. All I did was delete it from the desktop and now it's gone from my applications and non of my old docs will open up.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Sounds like you deleted the application rather than an alias. MacOS won't treat app files any differently than other files when it comes to deleting. It will only ask you password if administrator privileges are required depending on what the permissions of the file/folder are set to.

8. grumbler macrumors member

9. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

1. As I said previously, OpenOffice is a free replacement, but wont help you with your old appleworks files.

2. In re-reading your post, why would the entire app have been on your desktop in the first place? That's poor file management on your part, I don't mean to flame but really.

3. IF you haven't done much on the machine, you MIGHT be able to use a utility such as Disk Recovery II (by the same people who make Drive Genius) to get the file back, but it's unlikely that will work.

4. The suggestion that was given to try out iWork is a good one.

5. Why were you using appleworks in the first place? I don't know of anyone who does or has in the last 3-4 years. It seems like a backwards antiquated format that you wouldn't be able to send to anyone else to open either.

10. Toby Beau thread starter macrumors newbie

noted

I guess that's what happens when you switch from windows to mac. On a windows machine the only way to get rid of a program is to go to an uninstall thing and do a whole process. I was always used to dragging desktop items in the trash to clean up my desktop.

noted.

noted.
    I'm a college student and I don't exactly have a money tree out back... I bought a used computer and I use what it came with.

It's not a backwards antiquated format It can save documents as .doc or anything else and is completely compatible with any other program.

Nowadays I really only use google docs, anyway. I just think this is such a b.s. feature that it so easily will delete programs.