Accidently Upgraded -_-

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Neo2741, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Neo2741 macrumors newbie

I have a Iphone 4 I stupidly tried upgrading through itunes. It doesn't have a SIM right now and would like to use it as a glorified touch. It has baseband 4.11.08 am I hosed or is there anyway around it at all?? I'm happy even if I have to downgrade the IOS version. Any help would be appreciated.

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

Since you want to use it as a 'glorified touch', why do you care what baseband it has? There's a jb for iOS 5.01 on an iPhone4, so jb it, if that's what you want to do.

3. Neo2741 thread starter macrumors newbie

I only as because I couldn't get the latest redsnow to work for me. It installed Cydia fine, but it's still stuck at Insert SIM screen since I don't have access to a SIM at the moment is it possible without a SIM? or do I need one first.

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

AFAIK, you need a SIM. This has nothing to do with the jb.

5. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

There is something called Hacktivate, perhaps you can try that. I have never done it, so I have no real info about it, but try googling.

Or perhaps you can find an old SIM card, cut it to mini-sim format, and use it to activate.

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

What you can do is turn on airplane mode, that will deactivate the phone section and should get rid of the sim message.

You can turn on wifi seperately so as to still have internet.

The IP4 works perfectly without sim.
    If redsn0w installed Cydia it worked and the phone is jailbroken.

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm pretty sure you need a sim to activate it, but I could be wrong. iOS 5 changed this. I'm also not sure if hacktivation works but again, I could be wrong. I know people have run into this issue of being unable to run an iPhone just as an iPod without a wireless plan.

8. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Hacktivation does work. Just use redsn0w to deactivate it or whatever (assuming you even have to) and use sn0wbreeze to make a hacktivated firmware to restore to.

9. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Guys...

Redsn0w activates the phone when you jailbreak. Only if you select deactivate when using redsn0w you don't activate.

No need to restore (why is everybody always immediately recommending to restore ??)

What does your phone show:
    1) the activate screen (can't get into the phone and stuck on that page)?
    In that case rejailbreak with redsn0w and do no check deactivate

2) the phone works can use it but it shows no sim alert, turn airplane mode on and toggle wifi so you can use at as itouch

10. Neo2741 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool thanks.

I took your suggestion and tried to re-jailbreak with the latest redsnow without selecting deactivate this time, however, it errored in the middle of the jailbreak and from then on it doesn't complete..I was reading the small text before the pinapple picture and it said something about firmware not found.. :( Did I just screw myself again or maybe I should just pickup one of those phonebook sim cards at radio shack?

Thanks

11. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

The phonebook sim only worked for a short while, 2 years ago.
    Doesnt work anymore.

Looks like you selected deactiavte on the first jailbreak.
    You have 2 choices.

1) restore to stock and do redsn0w again WITHOUT deactivate.

2) buy a used micro-sim to activate, but you do need to know to which carrier the phone is locked to.

I would suggest 1

12. noiceT macrumors 6502a

If redsn0w is erroring, give pwnage a try.