Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
But i feel ios 9 is faster as iOS 8 was such a disaster especially with safari.
I still don't get why you keep trying to shove the videos under the carpet.I bet if all of em showed iOS 9 to be faster you would be posting them everywhere

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Its an Apple fan site.What do you expect.The reality is its slower than 8.4.1 in every possible way

9.3 is not what we are even talking about. Also did you make that video? It really feels like you made the video.

I still don't get why you keep trying to shove the videos under the carpet.I bet if all of em showed iOS 9 to be faster you would be posting them everywhere

Probably for the same reason you ignore anyone else having a different experience than you?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The App Store on my iPad Mini recently started loading faster, so I figured they were working on fixing stuff on the A5. But I also noticed that on iOS 8, when you updated, things started working okay in the beginning, but quickly started degrading again - Like having to close and reopen the store and Safari.

Safari is a lot more responsive on 9.2.1, The Verge pages I loaded were close to 4 seconds while Macdrifter and Daring Fireball loaded closer to 2 to 3 seconds. Or if you want to take it literally, The Verge gave me enough time to turn on the stopwatch on my iPhone while Daring Fireball didn't. :p

But knowing from experience, it's probably still too early. It could be a total nightmare again within the week. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say that apps are loading faster, they're just not getting stuck like they were before (I noticed that this mostly happened with iCloud Drive enabled apps).

Reactions: mabaker

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
But I also noticed that on iOS 8, when you updated, things started working okay in the beginning, but quickly started degrading again - Like having to close and reopen the store and Safari.

I wouldn't say that apps are loading faster, they're just not getting stuck like they were before (I noticed that this mostly happened with iCloud Drive enabled apps).

I notified that too under ios 8. From time to time I resorted iOS 8 on my iPad 3 which helped for a day or two, but then it slowed down again. iOS 9.0 was even worse on the iPad 3 so I finally upgraded to an Air 2.

I wish I still had my ipad 3 so I could test iOS 9.2.1.

But Safari STILL has the bug when you tap on "Private" and the whole app freezes! It's been there since iOS 9.1! :mad:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Yup. He's all about saying everyone has a right to their opinion but when someone says "well, actually my phone ISN'T lagging or stuttering" - he calls you a liar and says "oh no, but it is"

Putting these people on ignore make reading threads very difficult, as responses are made to invisible posts.

Hopefully one day, they'll move on.

Well, I found his profile on XDA asking about a few Android phones. Maybe he is planning to move on. but then again, I saw him complain about how Windows 10 is trying to push itself on to Windows users so he may just complain about everything altogether :)

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
Well, I found his profile on XDA asking about a few Android phones. Maybe he is planning to move on. but then again, I saw him complain about how Windows 10 is trying to push itself on to Windows users so he may just complain about everything altogether :)

Hopefully!

...and yeah, of course he'll complain about whatever platform he switches to. That sort of behavior won't just stop without treatment. Ultimately though, better there than here.

Agent2015

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
Sonoran Desert
The App Store on my iPad Mini recently started loading faster, so I figured they were working on fixing stuff on the A5. But I also noticed that on iOS 8, when you updated, things started working okay in the beginning, but quickly started degrading again - Like having to close and reopen the store and Safari.

Safari is a lot more responsive on 9.2.1, The Verge pages I loaded were close to 4 seconds while Macdrifter and Daring Fireball loaded closer to 2 to 3 seconds. Or if you want to take it literally, The Verge gave me enough time to turn on the stopwatch on my iPhone while Daring Fireball didn't. :p

But knowing from experience, it's probably still too early. It could be a total nightmare again within the week. :rolleyes:

Yes I totally agree with your observations. My iPad 2 has progressed consistently as iOS 9 evolves. The good news is that 9.3 Beta 1 has shown a substantial improvement in performance. So stay tuned!

Reactions: Jessica Lares

photobloke

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
I updated to iOS 9 on an iPhone 6 and immediately regretted it as the keyboard became completely unresponsive and apps crashed/hung. I tried to explain to Apple what was happening and they have yet to address the issues. I realize that they have now released 9.2.1; however, I don't believe that it will fix the horror story that I had before I went back to 8.4.1. Updating to 9.2.1 may have improved the functionality of older devices, but it has done nothing but impede and set back performance on iPhone 6 which is less than two years old.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
But Safari STILL has the bug when you tap on "Private" and the whole app freezes! It's been there since iOS 9.1! :mad:

Weird. That doesn't happen on my Mini. :eek:

Yes I totally agree with your observations. My iPad 2 has progressed consistently as iOS 9 evolves. The good news is that 9.3 Beta 1 has shown a substantial improvement in performance. So stay tuned!

Good to hear! Look forward to using it in three months time then, heh.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I updated to iOS 9 on an iPhone 6 and immediately regretted it as the keyboard became completely unresponsive and apps crashed/hung. I tried to explain to Apple what was happening and they have yet to address the issues. I realize that they have now released 9.2.1; however, I don't believe that it will fix the horror story that I had before I went back to 8.4.1. Updating to 9.2.1 may have improved the functionality of older devices, but it has done nothing but impede and set back performance on iPhone 6 which is less than two years old.

That does not sound like normal issues for an iPhone 6 to have or specifically tied to any iOS update. Sounds like a specific install gone wrong. I have an iPhone 6 and my keyboard has never become unresponsive or crashed/hung an app as a result. My iPhone 6 has bounced back n forth between all betas and releases. (Some official releases skipped due to next beta available before an official release.)

Reactions: hojx

Agent2015

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
Sonoran Desert
We don't know the particulars of your updating process to iOS 9 but in my experience our iPhone 6 is rock solid running iOS 9.2.1. Very fast, responsive and stable throughout. I would certainly suggest you give it another try with a careful upgrade making sure you have both iCloud and iTunes backups. Your experience with iOS 9 is certainly not the norm.

Reactions: hojx

photobloke

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
We don't know the particulars of your updating process to iOS 9 but in my experience our iPhone 6 is rock solid running iOS 9.2.1. Very fast, responsive and stable throughout. I would certainly suggest you give it another try with a careful upgrade making sure you have both iCloud and iTunes backups. Your experience with iOS 9 is certainly not the norm.

I also had issues with iTunes. When I updated it to the 12.3.1, the iTunes store would not function either. I was welcomed with a completely blank screen and no images. I sent a screen capture to Apple advising of this and rather than fix the issue they credited me with 2 rentals on the iTunes store.

Their trouble-shooting resulted in no resolution of that issue either and I'm sitting here reluctant to both update iTunes and my iPhone as their own technicians were unable to resolve the issues I was having.

I had another issue where my iPhone 6 refused to register as a data device and I couldn't access the photos that I wanted to transfer from the phone. I spent a couple of hours with Apple technicians and they couldn't resolve it. When they called back to indicate that they were boosting the issue up to higher level technicians, I had already managed somehow to fix the issue.

I've been reviewing the forums in an effort to decide whether or not the most recent update to 9.2.1 that I was just advised of merits installation. From everything that I've read so far, it remains plausible that I will be stuck at 8.4.1 on my phone.

Agent2015

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
Sonoran Desert
I also had issues with iTunes. When I updated it to the 12.3.1, the iTunes store would not function either. I was welcomed with a completely blank screen and no images. I sent a screen capture to Apple advising of this and rather than fix the issue they credited me with 2 rentals on the iTunes store.

Their trouble-shooting resulted in no resolution of that issue either and I'm sitting here reluctant to both update iTunes and my iPhone as their own technicians were unable to resolve the issues I was having.

I had another issue where my iPhone 6 refused to register as a data device and I couldn't access the photos that I wanted to transfer from the phone. I spent a couple of hours with Apple technicians and they couldn't resolve it. When they called back to indicate that they were boosting the issue up to higher level technicians, I had already managed somehow to fix the issue.

I've been reviewing the forums in an effort to decide whether or not the most recent update to 9.2.1 that I was just advised of merits installation. From everything that I've read so far, it remains plausible that I will be stuck at 8.4.1 on my phone.
Ouch! Sounds like a very painful experience. Something in the equation didn't work right. With your experience I would doubly make sure that I had recent and successful iCloud and iTunes backups before trying iOS 9.2.1. Be sure to select the encrypted option in iTunes when you do the local backup there. That helps backing up and restoring most settings and passwords. I would first try to setup the iPhone as new phone using the full ipsw and not via OTA. That way you can do some testing running 9.2.1 without introducing potential issues from your backup. Assuming all is good then I would try doing a restore from backup. Keep that iOS 8.4.1 handy!

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
To be fair, in that sense, they should allow people to downgrade to a version that works best for them. Sure an old device might not be expected to perform well on the latest OS versions that is years newer, but it can work fairly well on an older OS version. Sure, it would be with various limitations in the sense of what apps are supported and all that), but if a user would find that to be a better experience for them, that's certainly an important factor to consider.

Yes, and when a large virus or security flaw affects all these devices then guess who'll get all the blame?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, and when a large virus or security flaw affects all these devices then guess who'll get all the blame?
That was actually already brought up and addressed earlier in the thread in post #29.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA

The latest iOS version, 9.2.1, fixes a security issue that was identified in 2013. Not to mention a lot of devices still in use that can't update to iOS 9. Who's to blame for that? I'd imagine many "hand me down " devices are passed on to family members and they have no idea using an older iOS is a potential "security" issue.

It's not like we are hearing about it in the media of these older devices coming down with viruses or being hacked.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The latest iOS version, 9.2.1, fixes a security issue that was identified in 2013. Not to mention a lot of devices still in use that can't update to iOS 9. Who's to blame for that? I'd imagine many "hand me down " devices are passed on to family members and they have no idea using an older iOS is a potential "security" issue.

It's not like we are hearing about it in the media of these older devices coming down with viruses or being hacked.
Basically iphone 4's/ipad 1 and earlier are stuck on 7.1.2. While there are undoubtably some in circulation I don't think it's the population majority for almost 6 year old devices. Not to mention a fair amount of apps require a later IOS build. How many are aware that software gets patched and security holes get fixed along the way is anybodies guess.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Hard to compare with a beta build, far more code symbols and logging going on. Apple strip most of the symbols out in later dev and release builds.
Exactly, however, 9.2.1 beta 2 showed the same speed difference over both 9.3 beta 1 and 9.2, I think there is some optimization introduced in 9.2.1 that isn't in 9.3 yet. Or 9.3 has more debug code.

Right now it seems like 9.2.1 = more speed and 9.3 = more smoothness.

Reactions: lagwagon

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Exactly, however, 9.2.1 beta 2 showed the same speed difference over both 9.3 beta 1 and 9.2, I think there is some optimization introduced in 9.2.1 that isn't in 9.3 yet. Or 9.3 has more debug code.

Right now it seems like 9.2.1 = more speed and 9.3 = more smoothness.

That's very possible and could be very likely and good news for 9.3 beta 2 and beyond IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.