Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mezmorizor

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
No its pixelated at normal resolution. Lets not be fanboys of our given tech. I would never argue that the rMBP is a speed demon or that it plays games better than any other computer. Mostly because its not true. The MBA screen is mediocre at best. Im not trying to put it down its just the truth. Post a pic of text from your air at normal resolution and you will see the pixels.

No, you don't get it. You posted a pic that is so zoomed in that even the Retina is pixelated. Of course the lower res screen is going to look really pixelated at that point. It's inevitable.

Btw, I just did a little test with my 13" air. Very slight pixelation(way less than the retina pic you posted) occurs when I put my face midway through the keyboard. My eyes fail to focus before any apparent pixelation occurs.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
No, you don't get it. You posted a pic that is so zoomed in that even the Retina is pixelated. Of course the lower res screen is going to look really pixelated at that point. It's inevitable.

Btw, I just did a little test with my 13" air. Very slight pixelation(way less than the retina pic you posted) occurs when I put my face midway through the keyboard. My eyes fail to focus before any apparent pixelation occurs.

I took a screenshot of my retina at normal resolution. take a screenshot of your air's screen. Post it and you will see the pixels. I don't have a MBA air anymore but here is a screenshot of my iPad mini(163 PPI for the min) and it has a slightly better PPI than the MBA(127 PPI for the air) and you can defiantly see the pixels in the fonts. I didn't manipulate it in any way.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.png
    IMG_0001.png
    299 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
It has almost twice the amount of pixels. The difference is the most evident difference of any. Post a pic of your MBA's screen with writing and you will see the difference or go to a best buy and look at them side by side.

I extensively compared 13" MBA and rMBP side by side at Apple Store before purchasing my MBA. 13" rMBP effective resolution in native retina mode is 1280x800, which is simply not enough screen estate. Running rMBP display in downscaled 1440x900 mode - the difference between MBA screen is barely perceptible.

To me, Haswell MBA is a clear winner. The current 13" rMBP is a weird animal, the screen advantage is simply not enough to justify the extra price, weight and all the performance drawbacks that come with it.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I extensively compared 13" MBA and rMBP side by side at Apple Store before purchasing my MBA. 13" rMBP effective resolution in native retina mode is 1280x800, which is simply not enough screen estate. Running rMBP display in downscaled 1440x900 mode - the difference between MBA screen is barely perceptible.

To me, Haswell MBA is a clear winner. The current 13" rMBP is a weird animal, the screen advantage is simply not enough to justify the extra price, weight and all the performance drawbacks that come with it.

Seriously?

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I took a screenshot of my retina at normal resolution. take a screenshot of your air's screen. Post it and you will see the pixels. I don't have a MBA air anymore but here is a screenshot of my iPad mini(163 PPI for the min) and it has a slightly better PPI than the MBA(127 PPI for the air) and you can defiantly see the pixels in the fonts. I didn't manipulate it in any way.

Here ya go. MBAir 13
Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 10.35.01 AM.png

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I tend to agree, the size of the 13 makes the retina less important. Now if you got a 15. Now you need retina.

Why do you need retina on the 15 and not smaller? Is the iPhone, iPad retina, and rMBP flops and not in need of retina?

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 10.04.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 10.04.13 AM.png
    956 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 10.35.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 10.35.01 AM.png
    346.2 KB · Views: 68

Mezmorizor

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013

That's a pain in the ass, and it's not a good test. I agree that the pictures you're posting are pixelated, but they're not pixelated on a MBA. Even when you get ridiculously close to the screen.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
That's a pain in the ass, and it's not a good test. I agree that the pictures you're posting are pixelated, but they're not pixelated on a MBA. Even when you get ridiculously close to the screen.

Im not trying to put down the MBA at all. I just see a huge difference in the screen on a MBA and the screen on the rMBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.