account created during 1st time setup - admin?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by btownguy, Jul 16, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

I just turned on my MBP for the first time and went through the setup process. It asked me to create an account. Was this an administrator account, or was it a normal user account? It recommended my first name, so that's what I went with. I would have thought if it wanted to create an admin account it would have called it admin or something.

2. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

yeah, its gonna be an admin account. you can always go to System Preferences> Accounts to add or change account types

3. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Would it be recommended to create another admin account and then change my account to a regular user?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Depends who you ask. I use a standard account and leave the admin one alone. It depends on the level of security that you need. There's not too many threats for Mac users so it's not imperative to use a standard account for daily activities. So, it's really up to you and how strict you want to be with security.

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I make all my accounts on all my computers admin. It is just easier to not have to goto another account to do something. You just need to watch what you do.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

A standard account can do virtually (99.5%) everything as long as you know the admin account credentials. my standard account even has sudoer permission.

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

That's just great, but I like not being bothered that .5% (by your estimates).

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That .2% of that is from one program, that you'd likely never come across, and the rest is for a margin of error.