Account holder must be present when upgrading to 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Haywire Robot, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Haywire Robot macrumors newbie

Had anyone asked At&T or apple this yet?

My iPhone account is in my dad's name with his credit card. (I was 17 at the time.) I was wondering if on July 11th, when I go in to upgrade to the iPhone 3G, does my dad need to be there? I'm 18 now, but the account still is his Is this the same for AT&T and Apple stores?

I did put my name on the account to say that I am an authorized user to make changes to the account. I'm just not sure if this is enough.

2. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Yes that is enough

3. NYYankees macrumors member

4. Haywire Robot thread starter macrumors newbie

Even in the apple store, you think?

5. HenMaster6000 macrumors regular

I asked an Apple Store employee today whether or not the account holder had to be present for an iPhone upgrade, and he was clueless. Honestly, 3G is happening in four days--Apple needs to get its act together.

Anyway, being an authorized user seems to me to be the only way that you could alter a plan that's not yours. I hope that I don't have to bring my Dad along with me to upgrade my iPhone.

6. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

i just got to be an authorized user and you can sign a contract without the main person being there

7. Blaunerts macrumors regular

Blaunerts

But wait, your over 18 right? Cause I am 16 and I can be an authorized user. But can I sign that hefty 2 yr contract by my self??

pls help...

8. BlueCynicalMoon macrumors newbie

With having authorization, you still need to provide the last 4 digits of the account holders SS#. I would strongly suggest having that available when purchasing the iPhone and signing a new contract. I have experienced this every time I have made changes to an account with AT&T.

9. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

My account is under my dad's name, and i've never had my name added to the acct as an authorized user.

however ive made acct changes in store and purchased and extended contacts before without my dad being in the store with me.

the thing is, im not even sure what will happen in regards to the iphone though.

10. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

must be 18, unless they dont care about their job lol

11. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

you need to be 18 with a valid ID, know the account holders first name, and the last 4 of there social