Account Holder must be present

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TigerNation10, Jun 29, 2010.

1. TigerNation10 macrumors member

So I got the call from the AT&T store that my iPhone 4 was in but since I'm not the account holder and my father, who is the account holder, is unavailable to go with my today, it looks like no iPhone for me.

Very disappointed.

2. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

LOL.. you should have know that. You're most likely not an authorized user that can order phones, upgrade, or change things.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

I understand your disappointment. But this is a pretty obvious fact/scenario you've outlined.

4. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Are you an authorized user on the account? usually authorized users are allowed to make changes or establish a new line... they may ask for the last 4 of the primary account holders SSN but if you're an authorized user you should be able to do make the upgrade..

5. TigerNation10 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I should have but I have upgraded before and all that was needed was his last 4 digits of SSN. I was even told that by the girl who I talked to, but she confirmed it with some one else and he said the account holder had to be present.

6. himni macrumors regular

Just have your dad call AT&T and add you as an authorized user.

Or go to https://www.att.com/olam/profile.olamexecute?actionEvent=sendToAuthUser

If you know the online log in you could add yourself and then just go down and pick it up. I have done this myself since I am on my dad's account. When I got the iPhone 3G I just had them call my dad up on the phone and then they added me.

ETA: My sister has also done this when she got her 3GS and there was no issue since my dad added he as an authorized user.

7. ZenoVT macrumors regular

I got my iPhone 4 at AT&T today without the account holder present. Maybe NYC is just more lenient?

8. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

At AT&T you can be an authorized user and not have the account holder there.

At Apple they require the account holder there unless you lie (like me last year) and know the last 4 digits and go on your merry way.

9. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

It all depends on the employee. On launch day, I asked an Apple employee, they said the account holder must be present.

10. Peabody macrumors regular

Sometimes the account holder must be present vs. just an authorized user on the account.

On Saturday I found an iPhone 4 at an AT&T Authorized Reseller (not a corporate Retail store). I'm an authorized user on the account and had zero issue upgrading my existing line to iP4 (with proper SSN info), but they required the account holder for me to start an additional line of service for my 3G so I could hand it down to family.

Once I explained that the acct. holder was currently in the middle of his wedding vows 2 states away, the sales rep called her manager and he made an exception for him being present.

All depends on what you're doing to get the hardware I guess: new lines = account holder, upgrade lines = authorized user. Of course a little chatting it up can always change the results...

11. r3voLoL macrumors member

I just picked up an iPhone 4 from a local AT&T store, and I wasn't an "authorized user" yet. The lady told me to call my uncle, and have him call customer support and make me an "authorized user". He did that, and then I was able to purchase my iPhone 4.