Account Lookup Error - Never even got the box open!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fosters2, Jul 11, 2008.

1. fosters2 macrumors newbie

How's this for a problem? I waited four hours and finally got in the store. The Apple person pulls out the box and scans the barcodes. He takes my info and he gets the following error on his handheld unit:

"Account Lookup Error
    IRU account not supported"

WTF? So we dial 611 to AT&T. The person on the line says it's Apple's problem. We speak to the supervisor. He tells us that he can't help us. My account is not a corporate account, nor do I get any discounts. He confirms that my account looks fine and "should" be able to accept the activation. He suggests I go to an AT&T store and sort it out there. CLICK.

So I go over to the AT&T store. Of course they have no iphones left. I speak to the manager. She confirms my account looks fine and should be able to accept the activation. We call customer service and this is what they tell me. They claim there is a problem with Apple's servers linking to AT&T's servers. They are getting data errors so some authorizations (note I didn't say activations) are not going through. They are working on the problem and I should be able to get a phone...... Monday!

She tells me that if their AT&T store had phones, she would be able to override the system and proceed to activation. But, she can't do it with a phone from the Apple store.

Who is the idiot in charge of this mess?

2. fosters2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Went to the Apple store today and attempted to purchase a new iPhone. Thankfully, I was allowed to walk right in past the line and make the purchase (I stood in line for 4 hours on Friday).

Miraculously, the account verification went through so we were able to proceed to activation. So, whatever the problem was that was blocking accounts from being authorized, it has been resolved.