Account owner needs to be present at store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mugwump, Jun 15, 2010.

1. mugwump macrumors regular

Does the account owner really need to be present at store to complete the sale?

*Sigh* Unable to pre order all day today, with this error:

"We were unable to complete set up online...
    To finish creating your account, you’ll need to visit an Apple Retail Store where we can help you in person."

Seems like every year I go through this, but it's never very clear what will happen in the store this time around.

In previous years, I got the phone discount, and then I tell them I will just activate it at home since there's this problem with the account holder social security number being different than mine.

That has worked well, since most of the time all they do is strongly urge you to activate the phone there but haven't required it.

My contract is now up, that apple order page says that I am eligible for the discount. My wife gets a slight FAN discount that is why it's under her name.

2. wkennedy74 macrumors member

I believe as long as you have the last four of the account holder, and other identifying info you should be ok. When I bought my 3g that was all I had.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

it's my understanding that your Photo I.D., SSN and AT&T account info must all match before you can walk out with an iPhone.

[​IMG]

4. ballerchild macrumors newbie

from my understanding and what I've been told by someone at Best Buy as well as the Apple store, the actual account holder does not need to be present. As long as you're listed as an authorized user on the account, you should have the ability to make an upgrade to a line. You are just not able to add lines to the account.

5. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Other stores may work like that, but the Apple store requires the account holder to be present. This is what I've been told. AT&T stores (assuming Best Buy as well) may have an authorized user pick up an iPhone.

6. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

What if you are buying unsubsidized? I'm guessing you don't need all that info?

7. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

That's what I'm wondering. A friend of mine preordered his, which he's paying the $699 or whatever, with his number and punched in his Soc. Sec. number and it's his parents account. The reservation went through. I'd hate for him to get there and not be able to get it.

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

This is a question I'd like to see answered as well, I might call up the Apple Store tomorrow to see what they have to say.

9. mugwump thread starter macrumors regular

Again, in previous years, the initial Apple store employee would tell me that the account holder needs to be present, but then upon appeal to a manager they would let me purchase it and leave, since it does show up at the discounted $199 price.

The issue is the activation, which they have allowed me to do it at home where I can call ATT if necessary.

Another idea, how about showing them the social security number of the account holder and pretending it's mine. Do they really match up the official records?

10. Burntorange817 macrumors member

I spoke with at apple store rep earlier today who said as long as you know the last 4 digits of the account holders social, you will be all set. I'm not too sure how reliable she is, maybe I'll call tomorrow to confirm.

11. Munitalp macrumors 65816

I know that at the AT&T store you MUST be an "authorized account user", you can become one by having the account holder call AT&T and add your name into the system.

Last time I went in without being authorized I had all of the information and even proved I had the same address as the account holder, but they wouldn't do anything for me.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just have your name added to the authorized users list.

13. pab277 macrumors regular

My mother is the primary account holder, but she won't be able to make it with me on the the 24th due to work. I am an authorized account holder because I added myself a couple of days ago. My only concern is that im only 17 and they won't let me renew my contract due to the fact. will this be a big issue?

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

As of a few months ago, Apple changed the policy to allow authorized users to upgrade. Adding a line still requires the account holder.

All iPhones are to be activated in the store. That's not supposed to be an option.

The first step of selling an iPhone prompts the employee to check your govt issued ID. If they're paying attention, they'll notice that the acct info from the SSN you give them isn't in your name. Again, if you're an authorized user, it's not an issue. But it's not like they shouldn't notice that you're not the acct holder.

15. Caraj macrumors member

Yes this was the requirement for my local ATT store as well. I sent someone there but I had to add them as an authorized user first. Then I just removed him after it was over.

16. cu2010 macrumors 6502

I'm curious... under which name has the reservation been made? Does :apple: use the AT&T's primary account holder's or my Apple ID info? The confirmation email says that we need our social security numbers and IDs. Does this mean it needn't to be a primary acct holder's?

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

The reservation should match the person that's going into the store to pick up the phone.

18. cu2010 macrumors 6502

Yes, but which is it? I think they use the name associated with the Apple ID used to make the reservation. Otherwise, I need to find my father's doppelganger in advance :eek:

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Right, to walk into an Apple Store and say "I'm here to pick up an iPhone that I reserved", it's the name from the Apple ID that was used to make the online reservation.

20. andrewfrank macrumors newbie

how do you add someone as an authorized user?

21. agoat macrumors regular

22. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

23. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

good catch on that primary account holder requirement! I'll call my apple store to see if they will enforce it if I come in for my reservation on the 24th, but I have a pre-order with AT&T as well just in case

24. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

You don't need to be primary account holder but you do need to be an authorized user and know the primary's last 4 of the SSN.