Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
On my Mac, I keep getting a notification for system settings that says "Account recovery method needed: Add a recovery contact or recovery key to make sure you don't lose access to your data."

I already have this setup & even shows in System Settings.
Running the latest macOS, iPhone and iPad do not have this notification and are on the latest iOS.

Anyone else?

asdf.png

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I do not have this issue. However, as a test, log into your account online (Apple/iCloud), and confirm that it shows recovery data there...

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
I do not have this issue. However, as a test, log into your account online (Apple/iCloud), and confirm that it shows recovery data there...
Good idea. appleid.apple.com shows I do have a recovery contact setup. I guess I will ignore it for now and hope a software update will fix it. Only shows this notification on macOS. iOS devices are fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 20.05.48.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 20.05.48.png
    133.8 KB · Views: 54

dim_

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2021
With other such iCloud-related problems, it often seems that these go away if you fully logout from iCloud, optionally reboot to be on the safe side, and then re-login to iCloud. (This may be a little painful though, as logging out seems to be bent on deleting files that have been sync'd, then it has to re-download them all over again.)

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Also started to see this on my Mac starting from macOS 14.2 update. I bet it's a bug introduced with that version of macOS.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Also started to see this on my Mac starting from macOS 14.2 update. I bet it's a bug introduced with that version of macOS.
I think so as well. It has now started showing up on my MacBook (was initially just on my Mac mini).

Also started popping up on my husbands Mac.

Still nothing on iPad/iPhone.

Signing out and in to iCloud is such a hassle (and scary) I’d rather wait to see if an update fixes it.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Got annoyed of the notification and contacted Apple Support. They advised to remove current recovery contact using another Apple device, then reboot affected Mac and then add it back on Mac. This seemed to do the trick for me (I'll keep monitoring though..).

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Got annoyed of the notification and contacted Apple Support. They advised to remove current recovery contact using another Apple device, then reboot affected Mac and then add it back on Mac. This seemed to do the trick for me (I'll keep monitoring though..).
I did that and it came back for me. Hope it works better for you, otherwise an update to resolve it permanently.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Bugger... How long it took for it to come back?
It was pretty quick. Maybe a day.

Actually it all started for me because my recovery contact was listed twice on my device (no error) and my husband was getting the error. We both removed each other and re added. The error started shortly after.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
had same issue - solution was really easy: just log out from iCloud / reboot / log into iCloud / reboot
How long has it been working for you since you did this logout/login? Bit scared to do this as I don't know what it will hose on my computer... But I guess I need to bite the bullet.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
I'm about to install the 14.3 update but noticed that the Account Recovery method needed popup has gone... Hoping it's resolved for good now but will report back if it does return anytime after the 14.3 update.

Reactions: Donza

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
My wife's MacBook started also to show account recovery notification while ago, and 14.3 update didn't remove it. I myself did iCloud logoff/login, and so far notification hasn't come back. Will probably advise my wife to do the same.

Ready-for-Apple

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Germany
My wife's MacBook started also to show account recovery notification while ago, and 14.3 update didn't remove it. I myself did iCloud logoff/login, and so far notification hasn't come back. Will probably advise my wife to do the same.
And who told you that? Well, who? 😜

Reactions: Donza

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
I'm about to install the 14.3 update but noticed that the Account Recovery method needed popup has gone... Hoping it's resolved for good now but will report back if it does return anytime after the 14.3 update.
Update:
So the popup has returned :( I'm just going to live with it for now. Signing out and back into iCloud seems too scary with 2.2TB in iCloud Drive and 1.5TB in Photos, I'm scared of sync conflicts or something. I'd feel more comfortable doing an erase and restore actually.

Also, since it's happening on both of my computers, I'm not sure signing out/in would even help. hmmmm

Ready-for-Apple

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Germany
MacBook Pro M2 and Mac mini M2

I don’t want to use a recovery key, I want to have a recovery contact instead. Maybe I could try enabling recovery key and then remove.
I think you misunderstood my statement. "Recovery key" should not be a replacement for "Recovery Contact", but a supplement.
Your "Recovery Contact" may then also work again. 😉

Reactions: macrlz9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.