accounting package

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by billaston, Jul 3, 2008.

1. billaston macrumors newbie

I have just bought a mac for business use. I have been running quickbooks and wouldn't mind keeping this as m accounting package. Are there any other good packages for the mac. I basically have individual clients who pay for my services and need to keep track of money in, and money owed as well as invoice those who owe money and insurance companies who pay for some clients treatments.
    Any advice??

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

MYOB is a decent double entry accounting package, with Quickbook importing features and PC versions also.

And they are offering a rebate to Quickbook switchers.

www.myob-us.com check out the free trial to see if they have a quickstart setup for what you do

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You could also continue to run your current quickbooks on your mac by using parallels or vmware (I do this because I'm too lazy to learn new accounting software :rolleyes:). Amazon's usually got them both for less than $40 after rebate.

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I run Parallels solely so that I can continue to use Quicken. I couldn't find any software that would do what Quicken for Windows does, and the ones that came close didn't import clean enough.

5. billaston thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,
    I will look at myob and see if it is fit for purpose. If my accountant uses a pc will he be able to read it??

6. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I too use Parallels to run QuickBooks Pro and MS Money (my bank doesn't support Quicken). I send my accountant an email with my "accountants copy" of my QB file so she can do my taxes. If yours uses QB then this avenue may be closed and she/he may have to manually do your taxes which may/may not increase her/his fees.
    Also if you use the QB payroll then MYOB may not be the way to go (unless it too can fill out and print all of the Federal, State, and State ESC forms - which QB can).
    Something to think about.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If he has MYOB ...

The full double entry package is decent, though if somebody was looking at the $99 package I'd tell them to stick with an easier to use package for keeping the books.

For a long time MYOB was one of those packages accountants with Macs would use, and might sell to their clients with some skill in accounting.

I never had a problem with it, but when people used to Quicken tried to look for stuff in my records, they tended to sit there with a confused look on their face.