Accuracy of Front Page Stories

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by abrooks, Jun 12, 2008.

1. abrooks macrumors 6502a

I pointed out in this post on another thread that MacRumors is consistently inaccurate in how it refers to the App Store and how it types names such as iPod touch and iPod nano.

Don't get me wrong the editors of MR do a stand up job but calling the App Store the iTunes App Store is not something that I'd expect to see on such a popular site.

Same applies to capitalising the second word in iPod touch and iPod nano etc.

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

"inaccurate in the how"? A run-on sentence in the second paragraph? Informal sentence structure in the third paragraph? Come on, these sorts of grammatical mistakes are not something that I'd expect to see in someone who obviously cares deeply about details.

3. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

How is iPod touch, iPod nano and iTunes App Store wrong?

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

He is complaining that the official name is "iPod touch" yet those stubborn editors at MacRumors insist on calling it the "iPod Touch". That capital letter makes a big difference, you know! Lack of journalistic integrity, or some such.

5. abrooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Valid points, but fails to address the issue at hand.

6. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Come on, I mean is it really that serious to write iPod Touch instead of iPod touch? Oh and by the way, iTunes App Store = App Store, while iTunes App Store may not be the formal name, it does not make it inaccurate.

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

It's nowhere near as bad as the split infinitive of '98.

8. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

?? I can't follow

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

'Tis a mere jape. To explain would dull the sharp edge of my caustic wit. :cool:

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

The very name of this website itself is also spelt wrongly.

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

And spelling & grammar gripes are tied to the accuracy of front page stories how?

12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Being thrashed out...

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

One reason that stories aren't as thoroughly edited as stories at a traditional news organization is that MacRumors tries to post news as soon as possible after it's known. Most site visitors are more interested in knowing the breaking news and the rumors of what's coming quickly, rather than how it's capitalized.

It's also a small staff, so the editing/review that big-team sites can do often has to wait until after a story is published, or be bypassed entirely.

Personally, I'm always in favor of perfection, and regularly nitpick grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling, but I know that perfection can't necessarily be provided at Internet speed.

14. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Nail on the head. I would much rather hear about the event a few minutes early than have it 100% grammatically correct. It's a small price.

15. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

It's a balance. We do try to be factually accurate and sometimes that may delay a story even to the point where we may no longer get a "scoop." But we'd rather that than look like asshats an hour or day later.

Meanwhile, grammar is like Q said. We do our best while trying to get things out in a time-sensitive fashion.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why not send a note if you notice something amiss?
    Submit a "correction" and see if it gets applied

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

17. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

That works for regular readers but the people who only check once per day would only see the incorrect story and probably never see the update. Better to be accurate the first time around IMHO.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Which, as often as not, it doesn't. No criticism of the people who are in charge of this intended, but very often we're talking about quite obvious grammatical errors. I've turned in quite a few of them over the years, representing only a small fraction of the flaws I've seen. Of those, probably no more than half are fixed.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Are the complaints really that bad or does nobody really notice. If it is not hurting the experience of the site I don't think it is a big deal. It is not like every word is misspelled.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If nobody cares about grammar, then I suppose the errors really aren't "that bad." I recognize that hardly anyone cares about trifling issues such as grammar and spelling any longer, so perhaps we're just talking about humoring the few of us who still do. I hope not, but maybe this truly is the case.

21. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

;)

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In comparison, I would have to say the spelling/grammar of many of the posters here in the Forum is far worse.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And your point is...?

24. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We do certainly care about grammar and spelling in our articles, but as has been mentioned, we try to balance getting the information up quickly rather than putting our articles through a real editing and review process before posting.

I know that there are several admins/editors (myself included) who try to read over published stories and correct errors we spot at that time. We also do make every effort to fix mistakes reported to us by other members...I'm not sure why some of your reports have fallen through the cracks, but we'll certainly endeavor to make a concerted effort to make sure that doesn't continue to happen.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I understand the need for a certain amount of post-hoc editing, but the point I am making is that in my experience, half or more of the error reports are not acted upon. This does leave the impression that the comments are not needed or are perhaps unwelcome.