accuracy of iPhone 3g commercials

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by squeakyclutch, Aug 25, 2008.

1. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

I was using my iPhone when an iPhone commercial came on tv (the one about it working great with work). I started to mimic the commercial on my iPhone, and the time required to open apps and to go to other apps is quite a bit slower. When the commerical was calling his contact, my contacts were still loading.

Anyone else have similar experiences.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The commercials are so misleading its funny. The speed at which they show the internet loading is faster than my home wifi--and I pay extra for very fast service.

The iphone just doesn't perform as advertised for people in certain areas of the country and they really need to stop. If the commercial actually showed realistic speeds, that commercial would be 30 minutes long.

3. squeakyclutch thread starter macrumors member

squeakyclutch

update:

Another iphone commercial with the gps came on, and I again tried to mimic it. For realz, the commercial was over, 2 other commercials afterwards were finished, the show had come back on, and my iphone was STILL loading the gps app and pinpointing my location.

It's times like these where I hope I received a call from John Appleseed!

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

though i totally understand the point, you gotta remember that it's a commercial. they tend to be caricatures of reality no matter what they are advertising.

when was the last time you got a Big Mac that looked anything like the ones you see in commercials, or a steak from the Outback, or a meal at Olive Garden. you have to take commercials with a grain of salt i think

5. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

:D

Yeh, but considering how expensive ad time on TV is you can understand it. Makes me think of how many mac pro's are arrayed to make a keynote go smooth especially during the time when Steve is playing with that huge iphoto library.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is true. Mostly.

In this particular case I think they did a little wrong by trying to make it LOOK like it's real-time. Had they cut around a bunch, moved the camera, and made it look like a music video then I wouldn't complain even if they shortened 20 second tasks to 2 seconds.

But that's not what they did. They put it up on a static screen and made it feel like you were watching it in realtime.

So I don't argue that stuff in ads has to be real, but I do ask that they don't try to play it off as real. It's the difference between seeing a paper towel wipe up a lot and seeing one paper towel beat another. In the first case, they can do what they want. But in the comparison I expect it to be more accurate. Same basic concept.

Right?

7. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

That is a good way for me to kill time. Im gonna go to apple.com and race the commercials.

8. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

They could have modified the iPhone Simulator...

Or maybe they did a fresh restore? (unless that still doesn't help)

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Maybe they're running 2.1 and won't tell you.... hehe. I think they're just getting the point across about what the iPhone can DO... not how FAST it opens up an app. They only have a limited amount of time to work with and of course they wanna fit in as many features as possible.

11. Clyde099 macrumors regular

What a joke those commercials are.
    I really do love my iPhone but I hate that the phone lags and drops my calls all the time. :(

12. squeakyclutch thread starter macrumors member

squeakyclutch

I understand your point as well.

But, I feel there is an element of false advertisement in this instance because the commercial was emphasizing the speed of the new iPhone. Upon listening to that particular commercial again on the apple website, the announcer repeats the words "speed" and "fast" quite a few times.

Furthermore, I'm not talk'n differences of seconds here. For the GPS commerical, my GPS app was still loading and pinpointing my location, whereas the apple commercial was finished minutes ago.

13. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

If that was 2.1...I'd so pay $29.99 for that even though I have an iPhone :D.

On a slight tangent but not really...it's interesting how in one of the 3G iPhone commercials, Apple used Vicinity...which is rated two and a half stars (and considering the application is known for having out of date POI...as in a few years out of date!). If they wanted to accurately portray how your life will be changed, wouldn't it have been smarter to use a higher rated application? (at least for commercials)