ACD 20" vs. ACD 23"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eswank, Feb 1, 2008.

1. eswank macrumors 6502

I've decided that I'm going to buy a refurb MacBook and soon hoping to connect it to a ACD. I've been reading reviews from Apple to Amazon to CNet and etc.

The thing that I'd like to point out is that the 20" ACD is getting better reviews than the 23" ACD. Does anyone know why? I'd like to lean more towards the 23" because I have a 20" iMac and I would like a larger screen.

I've read numerous issues of "bleeding" and "grainy" on the 23" but some of those reviews were back in 2006. I know Apple updated their displays sometime last year. Are these updated models still having the same issues?

So if anyone has had any hands on experience with these displays, with or without issues, please let me know. Thanks!

2. Denali9 macrumors member

Do yourself a favor and shop around and buy another brand such as dell or LG. The ADC is overprice for the quality. Unless look is important and money not issue, pass it.
    Some may disagree but until they refresh the line, the ADC is way to expensive.

Good luck with your choice.

3. eswank thread starter macrumors 6502

That's true. I have been looking around for other brands. Is there a specific brand that you would prefer if you were to connect a MacBook to a display?

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have my 23" ACD and I love it. The picture and colour quality is certainly worth the extra money. The ACD doesn't use a cheap panel like most of the newest displays that are of course cheaper. If you want to compare the ACD with another monitor then compare it with Eizo and NEC monitors that use the same kind of panel like the ACD does.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The ADC is worth the extra (and yes, I'd go for the 23" - the extra resolution is well worth having) if - and probably ONLY if - you're doing colour-critical artwork. If not, then I'd tend to recommend saving your money and going for one of the cheaper options from Dell, HP or Samsung.

6. macgruder macrumors 6502

Hardly. The ADC is a S-IPS panel made by LG.Philips. In other words about the best you can buy unless you pay about $1100 for the NEC S-IPS. Do a search for a 23/24" S-IPS monitor, and the cheapest you'll find is the ADC. i.e. a good deal.

The panel is everything and people seem confused by the different kinds of panel that exist.

7. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Not that this helps you at all, but reading this thread just made me want to throw this out there. Most of the guys I work with in IT run ACDs on their Windows boxes. But, from what I can tell, there is not much difference in the 20" and 23", besides resolution and size. They both look great to me!

8. eswank thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess my only thing to do now is look closely at the ACD's at the Apple Store and go from there.

One more thing... has anyone bought a refurb ACD? If so, how was the quality of the refurb? Does anyone have pictures of their refurb ACD?

9. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I've been looking around for a high quality 23-24" monitor and Apple are the only monitors in their price bracket (in the UK) that seem to use S-IPS panels. Similarly priced models from NEC use PVA Panels which aren't as good.

10. Denali9 macrumors member

Each is own

Take a bit of time to look at your need and the importance of colour accuracy for you. Most 24'', even cheap one are rather good compare to 20'' and lower and may satisfy you. If you really need accuracy, then the ADC may be for you.

But Dell use a similar panel than the ADC in one of their 24'' and many people swear by it and it's currently a lot cheaper than the ADC. The Dell monitor is probably one of their only piece of equipment that is worth it.

Good luck

11. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I previously had a HP 22" which used a TN panel and I wouldn't buy another one. Mainly due to the resolution, but the colour accuracy was very poor (things like yellow tinge around the icons one a green/yellow background), etc.

Also, the Dell in question, I believe is the Dell UltraSharp™ 2407WFP-HC 24-inch Widescreen. This Dell costs £521 from Dell whereas the ACD costs £599. If I was going to choose either, I would choose the ACD, purely for Aesthetics and the fact that the Dell doesn't state what panel it uses.

EDIT: Just found a review from TrustedReviews stating that the Dell 2407WFP uses a S-PVA panel whereas the ACD uses a S-IPS panel. The S-PVA panel is significantly lower in quality as the response times are slower and their is Colour Shifting which causes shadow detail in dark scenes when viewed directly from the centre.

12. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I find bigger is better so I would purchase the 23" if I was making the purchase for myself.

I use dual 24" HP LP2465's at work and bought the 24" Al iMac for home.

The ACDs have great displays, but they lack future expandability (no HDMI, no HDCP, no DisplayPort). Not so big now, but you might not be able to watch Blu-Ray/HD-DVD content at full resolution without HDCP, for example. Or you won't be able to take advantage of HDMI to send both video and audio to the monitor from the computer.

13. mrfaize macrumors member

Have you seen the latest new comer to the UK market Hazro ? IIRC they do a 23" and 24" with S-IPS for less than the 23" ACD and a 26" and 30". Fairly basic connectivity though

14. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Good point however R U buying a monitor for computer work or TV and watching movies or editing movies ?

15. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I am in kinda the same boat as you, right now I have an apple 20" ACD and would like to get a second, the resolution is fine for me, (wear glass's and the age thing is catching up with me) anyways in my search I came across a 23" Brand New for 600 and a 20" for 500, now I am at the point of debating on whether to go with which one. I mite pick both up and see how it works out and sell the one or ones I do not use

Based on the following is a way to look at it or goto a store that still has the 23" displays next too a 20" display. Money is a concern for everyone today so it also would depend on your budget

16. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

I received my ACD 20" yesterday. Overpriced ? I don't know. I know that I couldn't be happier with it. Image quality is simply awesome, maybe even better than the Nec display I have at work. Not to mention that is a sexy beast. Even some friends of mine and my sister who have never been particulary impressed by Apple stuff said: Wow. This is beatiful. I'd say go for it. You won't regret it. As for 20" vs 23", I think it depends from what you are going to do with it. For me 20" is just perfect.

17. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Would go for a Dell rather than the ACD, its a much better Deal, and is only beaten by the ACD on looks in my opinion.

18. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Deal as in Financial, not as in quality. Unless you get a Dell that has a H-IPS or S-IPS panel.