ACD 23" or ACD 24" LED for Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ashok77, Jul 30, 2009.

1. ashok77 macrumors member

Hello

So I just got my "new" refurb 09 Mini and now I'm looking to get a display.

I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to Apple products so I would like to stick to the above two Apple products. I may look elsewhere but for the sake of argument let's just look at these 2.

23"
    Pros:
    FW400/USB
    Matte finish
    already have external FW iSight
    a little bit cheaper

Cons:
    used/older
    no speakers
    deterioration of brightness
    availabilty

24"
    Pros:
    latest model
    LED backlighting (brighter for longer?)
    display port (easy connection)
    built in speakers and iSight
    availabilty (refurbs seem to be out there a fair bit)
    MBP connectivity

Cons:
    only display port connection
    no FW
    power connector won't work with the mini
    price

My original plan was to get the 23" model so that I could hook up my external firewire iSight and use the included mini dvi-dvi from the Mini. However there is a good chance I'll end up with a 13" MBP in the future and the Mini will become a media server and be hooked up to the TV, hence in my interest in the 24" now.

Any thoughts? Feel free to add more pros and cons of each.

Thanks.

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Get the 24in Apple Display since you will get the 13in Macbook Pro in the future.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would go with an alternative brand to the 23", but the 24" seems like the right choice given your future.

4. AMessy macrumors member

I'd get the 24", but thats because I prefer Apples glossy screens and it would connect seamlessly with my MBP.

I really like the Apple displays and I doubt you could go wrong either way.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

24" LED ACD because it's newer. No brightness deterioration.

6. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I've always thought the ACD's are ripoffs because of the price, even though they're fantastic monitors (mostly because they're limited to only being used as a monitor for macs - can't use for games, blu ray, tv, etc)

I'd say get the 24", but it's very hard to justify a $900 monitor IMO. For that kind of money you could buy a nice SSD, a very good monitor (HP, Dell), upgrade your RAM and still have money left over for a few beers.

I had a HP w2338h and for $700 less than the ACD, it still looked fantastic.

Research some other brands before you drop the money, you won't regret at least researching some cheaper alternatives.

7. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Personally I won't get a new ACD until one of two things happen.

1.) They add a DVI or miniDVI connection as a secondary to the Mini DisplayPort

2.) The high end graphics cards start shipping with Mini DisplayPort outputs.

I'll believe Mini DisplayPort has caught on when I see high end GPUs on the PC side that offer it.

The problem with going from DVI output to MDP input is you need an entirely new PCB to translate the signal since adapters only work when MDP is the source and DVI is the sink thanks to DVI-MDP not being bi-directional. Some company is bringing out a device that will do that, but I'm worried about what kind of input lag it'll add and how much it will cost.

Might not look as nice, but I'll take a high end Eizo or Dell unit over the current 24" ACD any day.

But with the Apple Mini you have both mini DVI and MDP outputs, so that doesn't play as big a role for you.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

For the price of the 24" apple display, you could have two Dell W2408 monitors. With multiple inputs.

9. ashok77 thread starter macrumors member

thank for the responses so far, most appreciated and has helped me look at things a little more objectively. to throw a wrench into things i have found a 23" for 500-600 (cad$). i don't know the model number but it was bought in 2006. does this sound like a decent deal? the last time i saw a refurb on the apple website it was 850, oddly enough still more expensive then a refurb 24" @ 799.

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

The matte on the older 23"s are keeping the value up as people want them for print work.

I just picked up a 23" off of craigslist in near perfect condition with original box for 400.

I had a line on another one for 400, down from his asking price of 500, but at the last minute someone called and said they would take it for 500.

600 seems like too much. I see them end on ebay closer to 500 and there are alot of buy it nows on ebay from 400-500, then you can use microsofts 8% cashback.

I am talking USD though.

11. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I have a 23" ACD and I have to say the screen is amazing. The matte might be more of a bonus depending on where you have it. With a glossy desktop you can't move like a laptop. In my old apartment I was not in direct sunlight and couldn't see the benefits, now I am right next to my window and NEVER get even the slightest glare

long live mattes!

12. ashok77 thread starter macrumors member

what are peoples thoughts on the minidisplay port? is this something that's here to stay? the 24" is definitely designed for the macbook family but long term does it make sense to have a monitor with only one input? i tend to buy and hold, ie. i really don't want to buy another monitor any time soon and i value flexibility...decisions, decisions :)

13. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I think Apple plans to keep the Mini-Displayport for a long time. Apple just needs to add audio to it.

14. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I had the 24" LED and its a gorgeous display. The speakers are so-so though. The only downside to the LED are the cords. Apple doesn't give you very much length. I'll be glad when they fix that, add a DVI cable, and make a 30" model. :)

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It will be here until a newer display standard exists from which Apple can make another miniature version.

16. kirreip macrumors regular

You could always buy an extension cable if it is not long enough.

17. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I'll be damned, that's awesome! Thank-you for that! :)

18. kirreip macrumors regular

You're welcome...;)