ACD 27" compatability questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gdeputy, Dec 10, 2010.

1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Ok, I have a question regarding the cinema display, rather 2-3.

Is the current gen 13" 1.83ghz 4th ram MBA powerful enough to drive the monitor?

Secondly, I have a desktop pc that's reasonable new, and I'm wondering if I buy a radeon 6870 with mini display port, will that allow the acd to display the windows pc? I don't know if it just wont work windows or if it was because there weren't really any cards with mini display port hookup. It would be a best of both worlds deal for me because I'm ready for a new pc monitor and I want an iMac, but the iMac lacks graphics cards that will satisfy me.

So, yeah, the apple monitor is beautiful, has a great resolution, and will probably satisfy my desire for an iMac while still giving me the looks of an iMac as well as compatability with my new MBA. The big thing is if it'll work with my pc.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends on what you would do with the MBA but if it's just basic use, then it will be fine.

6870 will work fine too

3. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

So the cinema display will work with a windows pc as long as the 6870 has mini display?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Or normal DisplayPort (you need DP to mDP adapter then, costs like 2$). I think all 6870s have some kind of DisplayPort though. DVI would work too but then you would need a 200$ adapter

5. bkap16 macrumors member

A monitor is a monitor, and Mini displayport is Mini Displayport. The graphics card sends a signal to the monitor telling the monitor what to display. It doesn't know or care what operating system or programs are generating that signal.

6. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

So with a PC with 2 DVI ports only, I require 200 dollar adapter to send the signal to a 27" ACD?

Sounds like the only other option is a new video card which would cost more than the 200 dollar adapter!

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, Atlona's adapter is the only one which supports 2560x1600 over DVI

8. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

True, but depending on what video card you have it could benefit you to upgrade.

Ok final question, does anyone run the ACD on a windows box? I'm not talking about through bootcamp.

I'm wondering if the iSight, Microphone, and speakers will work on my windows box. I've heard brightness you can't control, but I can through the ATI Catalyst Control Center from what I understand. Would like to know if the speakers/mic/cam work though.

9. east1999bt macrumors newbie

I have a windows 7 - do not use macs. Just got this excellent monitor. Speakers work out the box. Haven't used the Camera or mic. Not sure if I will be using the camera/mic later on... But i'm assuming it'll work. The brightness control needs separate file to download, another person posted on this forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11212258&postcount=24)