ACD alternatives: LaCie, Eizo, Nec, HP --which one are you using/considering?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ObaMaciden, Nov 8, 2008.

1. ObaMaciden macrumors member

ObaMaciden

Which Apple Cinema Display alternative are you using? or considering? What's your experience been like?

I am about to get a Mac Pro for doing professional web design and editing graphics and videos. IMHO, ACD's are great, but the competitors offer a lot more in terms of wider view angle, future-proof connectivity, and longer warranty. Also, you cannot adjust height on the ACD (although I suppose one could jack it up with blocks of sorts, but then I'm afraid of knocking it over...)

Here is my little list, in the order of my most likely choice:

1. LaCie 324
    2. NEC 2490
    3. Eizo SX2461
    4. HP LP2475W

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Hello, may I add another to your list? I've being using a wide screen 19" Dell for the last two years and find it great. It uses the same Samsung panel as the Apple displays, has loads of extra connectivity and the colour repo is good for the price. I've just ordered there current 27" on the strength of it.

3. grue macrumors 65816

The only current Dell displays that use an IPS panel like those in the ACD are the 20" non-widescreen model (I can't remember the model #) and the 3008WFP.

4. ObaMaciden thread starter macrumors member

ObaMaciden

Great, yes, Dells are really nice, too. Come to think of it, a buddy of mine who went to photography school used a Dell and said good things about it.

What the model number and $ of the 27" Dell you just ordered? And I suppose it is an S-IPS panel?

5. smogsy macrumors 6502a

HP LP2475W are great monitors have 2 myself, Very Very Good.only bad thing about them is they have a big back (arm)
    although im thinking of getting a 2 30" mointor of some sorts soon as 2x24 is not enough

6. satty macrumors 6502

I have an Eizo CE240W and I am very happy with it. When I bought it a couple of years back some of the Apple displays had this red hue, which put me off buying one online.

7. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

I'm pretty sure that update of ACD comes rather soon; I'd wait at this point -- especially if you're not going to buy your new MP tomorrow.

From your list I'd go for LaCie.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

I really like Eizo's, and have owned them in the past, but they've gotten a little too expensive. :eek: I'd seriously look at the NEC, as you get a lot of performance for the money. :D

Macmall has them for just under $1000 ATM. :)

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Personally I'd go for the NEC out of all those. The HP is a good alternative, especially considering the price, but it likely won't match the NEC. Still worth considering.

I'd avoid the Eizo and LaCie because they use S-PVA panels. While these models aren't exactly trash or unusable, when you can get IPS panels for the same price you should.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

The NEC definitely seems the way to go for the money. Though the HP is great for tighter budgets. :)

IIRC, Eizo uses both. PVA in the Flex Scans (SX2461W) and IPS in the Color Edge series.

11. ObaMaciden thread starter macrumors member

ObaMaciden

Thanks for the input, Sash. I am curious to hear more about your pick of LaCie. Is that from personal experience?

Also, has there been any news regarding the next gen of ACD's? What do you guys think the upgrades will be?

I checked out the new LED 24" yesterday at an Apple store. I would have gone for the idea (iSight, audio, Magsage for my MBP...) except it's not matte and has no DVI adapter available for Mac Pro, yet. The later fact alone suggests Apple did not have MP in mind for the glossy LED. :mad:

12. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Yes, I've got 2 LaCies, so maybe a bit of a brand-loyalty...

All the monitors are quite similar specifications-wise, but this NEC indeed uses the latest H-IPS. HP -- S-IPS.

BTW, LG W2452T could also be interesting. ACD uses LG matrix, so at least matrix-wise it'll be the same. Beats others on brightness (400 cd/m2), contrast ratio (10000:1) and response time (2 ms (GTG)).

13. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I don't think we will see a display from Apple that is a better option than the NEC as far as the NEC's intended role is concerned. That is if they even do a 24" display for professionals.

14. ObaMaciden thread starter macrumors member

ObaMaciden

I appreciate all your comments. I am going with NEC lcd2690wuxi.

15. fivegrand macrumors newbie

I'm using dual ViewSonic VX2262's very happily.

Full time working photographer, if that matters at all.

16. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I'm using my Gateway HD2200 22". The exterior looks like a mix between the old ACD and the new ACD. I picked my first one up for $199, and I'm going to be getting another for $169. :D

17. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I'm using an Eizo ColorEdge CE210W at work, which has pretty damn good colour once calibrated. The new ColorEdge displays are just as good, and feature such exotic things as swivel.

18. ObaMaciden thread starter macrumors member

ObaMaciden

I hear really good things about the Eizo ColorEdge series as well. I went for an NEC 2690 and an ACD 23".

Speaking of calibration, which calibrator do you use/recommend? I just ordered an Eye-One 2.

19. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I am with PWN247 on this one. I have two 23"ACDs for editing in FCP/After Effects/PS...and a Gateway 2400 for end playback, also a Sony XBR6 52".

I love the Gateway! Awesome display, it is Glossy, but looks great for final playback and "the way it will look on MOST folks' displays." As we are seeing almost a global shift with "glossy" displays in everywhere BUT the professional realm. I have done creative for 20 years now....and I am DEFINITELY in the minority, but I welcome the Glossy effect.

It really POPS for my "almost" 40 year old eyes!

I am holding out for the (hopefully) updated, HDCP panels from Apple. I love my 23" ACDs. What are they now....5-6 years old? Still, IMO, one of the best displays at that price point available, with TRUE color.

If you have the money and need the monitor now, there is nothing wrong with the 30" ACD or the new Dell 30"

Cheers

J

20. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Yes, I presume the new one will be better, but the one I have (2006) is still amazing.

21. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

We use a Spyder3 for calibration - takes a while to run the whole thing, but the results are good. Displays are calibrated every 14 days, which is a bit of a pain seeing as there's 9 of them...

Oh, and with Eizos make sure you get the hoods as well as the monitor. Cuts down stray light a treat.

22. emt377 macrumors member

I have a 23 ACD and a 21", uhm, Princeton from CostCo. The latter is very high contrast and is more suited for text than photography. I calibrate using Monaco Optix XR. Software is mostly PhaseOne CaptureOne Pro, PS CS4, ImagePrint RIP, QuadTone RIP, GenuineFractals, Imacon Flexcolor, VueScan Pro (for flatbed scanning of 4x5 type55/59 prints), i.e. the usual suspects.

I'm planning to get the NEC 30" when they ship it with DisplayPort and there is a DP capable card for the MP. Until then I'll stick to the 2600XT.

23. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

I am using 2 LaCie 321s. I am very happy with them wouldn't trade them in for anything else. The colors are great match up perfectly with my photos when calibrated correctly. Have worked with the Eizos as well but for the price the LaCie 324s are pretty nice. Looking at either those (324s) or their higher end model when I am ready to upgrade.

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've used Eizo's almost exclusively, and as my personal units since '93, and still own one. In all the that time, I've never been disappointed. :D

Given their current street pricing however, I'd lean toward an NEC (personal preference #2), or others such as a LaCie. Eizo's have just gotten too expensive for their own good. ;)

25. m1stake macrumors 68000

Another vote for NEC. I've got a flat screen CRT that's very pretty still (No rounded edges!), and more recently, an LCD for my PC. Couldn't tell you about how color accurate it is though, as accurate color doesn't help you get head shots.