ACD and PS3?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mugs, May 16, 2008.

1. Mugs macrumors regular

Hey guys, im sorry if this is a bit random or if its already been asked but I was just wondering if you use a Playstation 3 with a 23 inch ACD? Thanks a lot.

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

you will need an HDMI to DVI cable and will be unable to utilize audio, but yes it will work.

3. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

so I can get the games to play but i wont be able to hear any sound? Is there no audio out thing on a PS3? Thanks

4. EngBrian macrumors regular

The PS3 only comes with composite cables (Yellow, Red, White) which connects to the proprietary av output. But it also has the HDMI output and an optical audio output. So you could probably send video through HDMI and your audio out of the composite or optical.

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I think you can only use one type of connection at a time though. Either the composite port or HDMI.

6. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

That is true for Video. However, you can send video through HDMI and audio through Optical.

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

correct. doing this very thing with a POS dell 20" until i can afford to replace it... HDMI cable to HDMI/DVI adapter to monitor, and standard composite cable is used for the audio out.

wrong. see above.

8. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

my bad, but its true that both ports are not fully functional at the same time.
    If you don't mind me asking, what kind of speakers do you use that u can use rca cables, but sit close enough and use a 20" monitor?

9. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

headphones... after the kids go to bed! ;):D

10. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

hey guys thanks a lot for the response, so basically i can take the video and display it through the ACD and then the use the red and white cables to go to speakers! Is that rite? Thanks

11. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

yep. don't know if it matters, but i set up the HDMI first, then plugged in the composite adapter, hooked up the red/white and left the yellow hanging. works great, and i've never had to reset or fiddle with it. best of luck.

12. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot mate!

13. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Good luck with your setup! This thread has inspired me to move my 360 into my bedroom.