acd displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gonnabuyamac, Jun 30, 2007.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

does anyone think they'll upgrade their displays soon? i want to get a monitor to go along with my mbp, and am considering an ACD - probably 20 or 23". i do quite a bit of graphic design, so i want a pretty high quality monitor.

are the current acd's worth it, or should i wait?

2. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Just purchase the current generation 23" Apple Cinema Display and start enjoying it. If you really feel you can wait then go ahead and do so, but my advice would be to purchase it and start using your tool in your daily workflow right away.

3. ghettochild macrumors regular

You may also want to consider Dell displays. They just came out with the new 2407WFP-HC, which is a pretty sweet display. Sells at $679 compared with $899 for the 23" ACD. In my opinion, Dell is inferior to Apple only in the looks department.

4. Architect4122 macrumors regular

[hijack]

Actually, I'm posting here not only as a reply (in hopes that my question can help) but also, I feel it belongs here instead of flooding the forum with another ACD question.

I've been floating around the forums lately reading all I can concerning quality of displays compared to other brands (mainly Dell), as well as trying to read up on the difference between the type of screens (TN versus S-IPS).

With a student discount the 23" ACD comes down to $800. Still about $150 difference between the 24" Dell, and the loss of 1" diagonal screen area; yet I am still in love with the design of the ACD.

The question is: will the upgrade (whenever it comes out) be amazingly better over the current ACD, or just a subtle upgrade with a couple better specs. The reason I ask is this, when comparing what you'll pay for the new ones compared to the hopefully price reduced (I'm assuming they'll drop again) current ACD, will it really be worth it?

I think I'm in the same boat as gonnabuyamac, I think all I'm doing is convincing myself to buy now.

Thanks.

[/hijack]

Side question: how would gaming (xbox360/ps3) look on the 23" ACD?

5. ghettochild macrumors regular

The new ACDs will probably have LED screens. Keep in mind that the current models will be discontinued then, you'll no longer be able to buy them off Apple, except for occasional refurbished deals. Dell, by the way, also offers EDU discounts.

6. hi-there macrumors member

IMHO, the most important aspect to consider when purchasing any display is its use. How will you use your display?

If you are creative professional like me, colour accuracy, even lighting, SWOP/ICS certification are THE MOST important consideration. Some, well financed people in this catagory might even look at even better spec-ed displays from Eizo and Lacie but they are in another category (price & spec). ACD are good displays suitable for professional work. If this is you, it is worth it. If not, only you can decide.

IF you do not need that sort of colour accuracy/even lighting, then your options are greater. Some people determine their purchase by price, by design, by response time/speed, etc.,

For gamers, you can get displays with faster response time (like 6ms - 8ms)... I can not say if you can notice the difference but, it is a consideration for some gamers.

7. Architect4122 macrumors regular

Again, sorry if it seems I took over this thread.

Also, thanks for the help. It would be predominately for design work: CS3, as well as VIZ, CAD, SketchUp, etc.

I would every now and then play a computer game (BF2, or something new) and possibly later hook up a console.

The sole purpose is for work, however, I was wondering for those gaming moments that kick in, if it would work.

Thanks.

8. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You can't game on an ACD out of the box.

For a PS3 you will need an HDMI to DVI converter and an HDMI switch so you don't have to swap cables.

For an Xbox 360 Core or Premium. Forget it. It doesn't work unless you spend about $350 for a box. This is because the ACDs only take digital signals. These Xbox 360s put out analog.

For an Xbox 360 Elite, it is the same as the PS3, HDMI to DVI and a switch so you can switch between them.

Anyhow, the ACDs are not professional displays. Sorry. The backlighting is terrible. I had 3 different ones and they all bled badly. They have image persistence issues and pink case on some. They are also very slow, which for video is not a good thing.

They are beautiful displays. But not worth the money especially when just about every other display has more than one input or at least allows analog signals. They all have a scaler as well. Which is more expensive to do. So when you consider what the ACD has, one DVI-D connection and an aluminum housing. You aren't getting much for your money.

Some people, like myself enjoy a display that can do most things. The gap between P-MVA and S-IPS is closing. I recently got a 24" LG and it is beautiful. HDMI (comes with HDMI to DVI cable for your Mac), VGA, and component. I calibrated and man is it gorgeous. The look of it is ok, not ACD but I only paid $430 for it (retails for $600 at BB). I am going to pick up another one soon.

Do some more panel research. EIZOs don't even use IPS panels yet they are some of the most highly regarded displays in design. The electronics and LUT control are what is important and that is where Apple falls behind. PVA/MVA panels also have better contrast ration than IPS panels.

The 2407WFP-HC is very promising it uses a panel that produces 92% of the NTSC color gamut and has CCFL backlighting. If you want a beautiful Dell that is close to the beauty of the ACDs take a look at the 2707WFP. It is a gorgeous display. http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2961

It is kinda pricey, especially when you look at the 30" pricing, however because of that they haven't been selling all that well. There are people who have called Dell and bargained a bit. You could probably get it under $900. You will have a bigger pixel, but some people like that. It also has a the 92% color gamut and CCFL backlight.

9. atarigraffx macrumors member

i got a 20inch ACD and i love it love it love it but i need something bigger for professional reasons, like 10 inches bigger. i dont need it right away so i thought about waiting for the next gen, anyone know if the 30inch will have a built in isight????, thats what im really waiting for

10. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

I am in the exact same boat... Have an ancient, but still remarkably 90% functional, PowerBook G4 (Titanium) and have been waiting to get a new MBP as soon as Leopard is finally released and would like to get a new ACD to complement it.

Would hate to get a new display, though, only to have them release new models a couple months later. Since it's been a LONG time since they've done anything substantive, i.e. more than the (admittedly welcome) price drops, they seem overdue for a major refresh or redesign.

But, although rumors abound on Leopard, iPhones, iPods, there is a deafening silence on the ACD front... :confused: