ACD grainy compared to newer displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by peidon, Apr 16, 2008.

1. peidon macrumors newbie

I've been using a 23" ACD for 3 yrs and I love it. I'm about to upgrade to a 30" display. So I went to look at the 30" ACD. It looked just like the 23" except bigger, which was what I'm looking for. Then pull up the same apple web page on the new 24" imac. I was totally surprised at how much better the imac looked. The graphics were smooth and the color MUCH richer.

So I went home and looked at my 23" ACD more closely and I did noticed the same grainy look as the 30".

Does anyone else noticed this as well?

Also, anyone have a Samsung 305T? what's your experience?

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The iMac had a glossy screen right? There's going to be a very noticeable difference between matte and glossy (although the aluminum 23"s have plenty of color).

3. shokunin macrumors regular

Funny you mention that.. I'm at an apple store right now on a 30" and the screen does have a sort of grain to it, somewhat like a bit of noise thrown in. It's not as "sharp" as the 24" imac.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That is most likely due to the glossy coating of the iMac's screen.

5. plumpan macrumors regular

the anti glare coating on the 30" ACD REALLY bothered me the first few days after i got it... especially over white backgrounds. a few weeks later now, i don't even notice it at all, not even when using another display and coming back to it.

6. shokunin macrumors regular

It's definitely the matte screen versus glossy. The antiglare / matte coating has a bit of surface texture that is more visible on a white background. I notice in now on my 24" LCDS at home. I just it's more pronounced when looking at the huge screen of the 30".

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

The S-IPS lcd are known for the sparkly or grainy display that your seeing. The new 24" imacs use a newer and better H-IPS lcd. I think the newer cinema displays will use the same lcd as the 24" imacs with H-IPS + led backlighting.

I dont know about any of you guys but I actually like that sparkly look on the colors, just looks pretty to me, lol.