ACD LED charging Macbook Pro = Audio hissing (loud)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shiny-blanket, May 11, 2009.

1. shiny-blanket macrumors member

Help,

Recently purchased a 24" Cinema display along with a 15" macbook pro. The screen has yellow fringing on the edges (apparent on the discolored menu bar) and some dust under the glass.
    I can live with this, however I've just noticed when the macbook is charging from the display it causes a really loud electrical hissing sound from the speakers. Remove the charger and it's fine.

Has this been reported as a widespread problem, or is it local to my display?

2. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

First off I am really sorry for your discoloration and dust. I managed to get what seems to be a perfect LED ACD.

But anyways is this hissing coming out of the laptop, display, or external speakers???

On my old MBP if I had something like a printer plugged into a USB port a hissing noise would come out of my external speakers if they were turned up loud with nothing playing. It was just the ground current being amplified by the external speakers.

I do not seem to have this problem using mine in lid closed mode with external speakers plugged in.

3. shiny-blanket thread starter macrumors member

It's definitely the speakers. Pressing my palm onto the unibody makes the frequency change. Could it be a shielding issue or something wrong with the display?

I've just removed the ACD charger and plugged in the portable charger and there's no hissing.

Just got a shock from removing the charger :(

Won't be plugging that back in.

4. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Yeah that's not normal. A little hissing is normal due to shielding and grounding, but a loud hiss and shock is not normal at all!!! And if it doesn't happen with your regular charger plugged in then it is definitely a problem with the display. And for $900 it sure as hell shouldn't attempt to electrocute you. If your within your 14 days exchanging should be a breeze if not it still shouldn't be hard because it shocked you and its a liability to Apple.

So I would definitely contact Apple whether it be a store or AppleCare immediately,

5. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

Why would you be willing to live with any problem in your brand new product? Be it discoloration, dust in the screen or hissing, take it back.