acd or no acd...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kculloton, Jun 4, 2007.

1. kculloton macrumors member

I've been doing my homework for quite some time now, and I think the 23' cinema display is the right external monitor for me. However, the price is a bit hefty. I was looking at the Ultrasharp 24' Dell monitor and the Samsung 245BW 24' as alternatives. What do you guys think of this as an alternative for the 23' HD acd? How big of a difference quality wise are these alternatives to the acd?
    If any help, it would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

I have a Samsung 19" widescreen but have never compared it to an Apple. Nonetheless I am very happy with it. As far as the price of the 23" ACD is concerned, perhaps you might want to wait and see if the price drops if new ones are released at WWDC.

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I would say, most definately wait! New MacBooks Pro have come out with led backlight. Apple will use this also in the next gen ACD. That will make the ACD's with a better backlight = more brighter screen. Also some other improvements on the screens are probably going to happen, like more pixels!

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Is anyone actually making a 30" LED panel? That is usually a good harbinger of monitors to come...

I too am interested in a new ACD, but I'll wait until after the upcoming conference to see if anything is announced.

5. MacBook Jack macrumors newbie

I'm waiting for the new 23" acd too!!!

As soon as it drops i'll be down with it! :)

HURRY UP :apple: !!

When is this conference?

6. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

They didn't give the 17" MBP an LED panel because it either wasn't available or not priced sensibly. How long are you going to have to wait for a 20"+ one?

7. n0d3 macrumors regular

I just bought a 23" ACD for my MBP, couldn't wait anymore. Its already quite bright IMHO. At max brightness, it gets a bit uncomfortable, you need to set it to at least 75% to make viewing a little more comfy.

8. jellz macrumors regular

Even if they released new monitors wouldn't they be out of your price range? Or are you going to buy the current ACDs when they new ones get released?

9. x Shadow Dragon macrumors regular

wwdc? thats on monday

10. MacBook Jack macrumors newbie

11. munckee macrumors 65816

:( Yeah, I'm a little bummed about that too. It's really getting to be time. I may have to settle for the Dell camp.

12. yagran macrumors 6502a

ive got a new 23" ACD, your silly to wait around for new stuff from apple, if you like the current offering then just buy it, rumors are exactly that rumors. apple may not change the displays until december! if your the type that wants the latest and greatest go for a samsung, it wont hold its value aswel bu they are nice enough and the product line has seen a recent refresh.

13. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

I'm reasonably sure the LED element is independent of the LCD panel, so I don't think it'll be that long before they work out LED backlighting on everything.

14. munckee macrumors 65816

I'm not waiting around for the new one (just sold my previous one to fund a new display last night), just hoping. At this point, even the refurb is hard to swallow at almost $200 more than the dell. I was kind of hoping a new one would get released to the refurbs would drop in price.

15. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

yeah the 17's aren't even feasible currently, this makes me think of the new redesign to the iMac's i think they will update with a redesign with LED is available all around. I think we will see a iMac update soon but not a redesign.

16. Digitaljim macrumors regular

Digitaljim

I plumped for a used 20" ACD recently and it's been an absolute treat. Much better than my flatmate's NEC 20".

However, my old 17" Apple studio display had ONE connection to the base for power/usb/firewire/signal whereas the new one has 4 - one for each. What a step backwards! Boo to Apple.
    Also i'd like a glossy option on the ACDs if there isn't one already

17. MvdM macrumors regular

What about the quality of the current 20"/23" ACDs?

I read a lot of problems with at least the 23" giving pink colors where they should be white and images that burned in and stayed for quite a while. For example an image of a white Finder window that is later visible in your photo in Photoshop.
    These 2 things, and the graininess, make it difficult for me to decide. Image quality, what I've read, is better than the Dells. An HD Eizo costs even more than the ACD.

18. ChrisA macrumors G4

What is the main use of this monitor? Hard to know whaich is best. If it for entertainment (games and movies) and office work go with Dell. You can justify the ACD if you are using this for photography or video editing where color fidelity really matters more.

19. northwesternmac macrumors newbie

My question is just a little different... I have a 12'' Powerbook G4 1.5GHz, and I was wondering if the 24'' Ultrasharp Dell monitor would be able to connect to it? I'm guessing it can, but I just want to make sure because of the money I would have to spend to get it.

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The fear of seeing everything with a yellow wash over it makes me think you better buy your ACD now while the buying's good.