ACD + Speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KimTwemlow, Sep 17, 2007.

1. KimTwemlow macrumors newbie

KimTwemlow

Hi all,

I've just got a MacBook and I'd like it to be connected to as little as possible! I see that the Apple Cinema Display has USB ports - can I connect speakers through one of those or do they need to be connected to the computer?

Hope this isn't a silly question :)

2. macfaninpdx macrumors regular

According to the technical specifications, it has a self-powered USB 2.0 hub, which I would assume have enough power to drive most USB speakers. Also, the displays page on Apples site states that
    So again, I would assume this would mean speakers are fine.

And you can always try the Chat Now link from the Apple Store and ask someone there.

Hope this helps.

3. KimTwemlow thread starter macrumors newbie

KimTwemlow

Thanks for replying. Actually, I was wondering about sound, not power!

Can't seem to find a Chat button in the Apple Store - possibly not available here in Ireland.

4. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I don't understand what you're trying to do...what's the difference in hooking up speakers to your computer vs. to your monitor?? Do they even make USB powered speakers?

5. KimTwemlow thread starter macrumors newbie

KimTwemlow

6. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I can't see why they wouldn't work. You might get a tiny amount of extra delay, but if you were really worried about that you wouldn't be using USB speakers at all.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It will work. Of course, you will have to connect the ACD's USB cable (tethered to the DVI cable) to the MacBook, as you will have to do with the firewire cable if you want the firewire ports in the display enabled. All in all, when you dock, you connect three cables from the display to the laptop. Honestly, I wish that the company that virtually invented the dock would create docks for their current lineup. I'd be willing to bet that it would up the sales of ACDs as well.

8. KimTwemlow thread starter macrumors newbie

KimTwemlow

Thanks all! At least I learned something new today ...

9. whawhat macrumors 6502

10. phoku macrumors newbie

So have I.

Attached Files:

11. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I use a belkin network usb hub http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/ with a powered usb hub to connect all my stuff, sadly they only have windows drivers right now and I'm currently using bootcamp with vista. It works great though, can run my printers, hd, speakers, camera, charge my phone via usb... engadget said they would release mac drivers sometime late september so I'm just waiting for them so I can fully switch back to OS X

12. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Wow, minimalist! How do these compared to say the Logitech Z-10s?