ACD vs Samsung

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jesteraver, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jesteraver macrumors 6502

I might be getting a mac pro by October. Thing is I was going to get the 23" ACD monitor, until I found this amazing 22" monitor from Samsung 2ms (GTG) 3000:1 contrast the brightness aint to bad but could be better though 300cd/m2. Best thing I can get two of them for the same price of the 23" ACD

:)

I just hope the Samsung 226BW will be good for Photoshop and Illustrator, plus the occasional movie.

Anyone using the 226BW?

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Had one.....took it back, got the ACD 23". Here are some of my thoughts:

- The Samsung has a native resolution of 1680x1050
    - The 23" ACD has a native resolution of 1920x1200

Basically the Apple has much more screen real estate. This also depends on what you are used to. For example, I was moving from a Samsung 20" non wide screen display that had a resolution of 1600x1200. I didn't like losing that vertical resolution.

- The Samsung, being 22 inches, has a less sharp picture. Physically the pixels are bigger on the screen.

I'm mainly comparing this to my Samsung 20" again. Adding that extra 2 inches, and only 80 more pixels wide, text and icons didn't look at crisp and sharp to me.

- The Samsung uses the lower-end TN Panel type.
    - The Apple uses the higher-end S-IPS Panel (Super IPS)

The TN panels are what you find in the lower end monitors. They offer better response times to appeal to gamers. The S-IPS panels offer much better color and clarity. You can do some searches to learn more about them.

- The Samsung's 3000:1 contrast is only when it's using it's Dynamic Contrast mode.

You have to specifically put the display in this dynamic contrast mode to get the 3000:1. Otherwise it defaults down to 1000:1.

Again, these are just what I have found out while trying to get the best display. I ended up with the 23" ACD.

Now many people like the Dell 24" 2407WFP which you can get for around $600 now. I still chose the Apple mainly because I didn't want to have to have the Dell shipped (if I didn't like it), and I bought my ACD at Best Buy because I had gift cards. The Dell's use the same panel as the Apple's, although you should search on the "dell panel lottery" where there is much debate on Dell's practice of shipping monitors with cheaper panels.

Hope this helps. In the end, try to pick up something at a retailer that has a good return policy if you don't like it.

-Kevin

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

IMO go for the ACD, it's awesome, not only that, it matches the Pro perfectly.

FJ