ACDs 30% off the original price, BUT...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shelant, Feb 11, 2008.

1. shelant macrumors member

Hi everybody. I have been enjoing these forums and know I NEED a suggestion. I came back from the local CompUSA and they have a discount on all Apple Displays 30% off. It is a big discount, I have never seen 23" for $620 and 30" for $1260. There are of course some nuances. These models were in stock since begining of 2006, so I assume they have older specs (Brightness - 250 cd/m and 400:1 contrast ratio). Also, I believe they were always on and have a couple of minor scratches on the back. Do you think I should look into buying it. I would also pick up the Penryn MBP along with AppleCare for MBP+Apple Monitor (CompUSA also have 50% off Apple care)
    Do you think I should disregard older specs and go for it or wait and hope for the soon update of ACDs?

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wait for the update. Those'll be around the update prices. And if they're not, you have the time in between to save up. You won't regret it.

3. shelant thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for a quick response. When do you think they are going to update it?

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Nobody really knows. You'd like to think they would have announced it with the Mac Pro, but really the only thing the ACD needs is HDCP support and that is only really for playback of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD content from pressed discs. So Apple might wait until they offer playback support to launch new ACDs.

In addition to saving money, if you do take the display unit and AppleCare and it fails, chances are you'll receive a newer spec unit back depending on what dies (as in Apple might not have the older LCDs or such in stock and would use newer parts).

5. pprior macrumors 65816

No way. Display unit since 2006?? Major burn out of the backlight and how many greasy fingers have been scratching over the screen.

Buy an apple refurb over that anyday.

6. shelant thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for your post. It just SO tempting, when you see such price to grab it and be happy. I'm sure though, if I bought it, I would feel bad about having outdated display.
    OK, I'll wait until I have my new MBP and then decide about the monitor. Still, do you think I should get the apple care for MBP+Screen with 50% off now or later? There is a risk that CompUSA will get closed;)

7. splicednuggets macrumors newbie

the apple refurbs are very cheap as well. $1499 for a 30" is a good price, theyre still awesome screens. i've waited long enough and am going to purchase a refurb 30" tomorrow if they don't update them. remember when the 23" came out it was like $2599 or sumthin', $1000 more than the 22" cause it supported HD or watever. who cares what the new ones do/look like? most people are too obsessed with new stuff cause its new. be happy with you have, don't let apple pull you around. if the product works, looks good and can do what you want it to then who cares about a newer one?

8. gotzero macrumors 68040

I found the CompUSA prices to be BS considering those units are abused all the time on largely static backgrounds, likely will not be warranties honored, and cannot be returned. They are also likely to be the older units.

I offered my local store $600 for a 30" ACD, and got told no way. It is still there, and I am hoping to snatch it right before they go under. I wonder if some of the stuff is earmarked for a liquidator, which is why they are not budging. Someone needs to explain to them that 10-20% off of open box last-gen apple systems is not a good deal, but I guess this is why they are closing their doors in the first place...

9. shelant thread starter macrumors member

Awesome post!!!
    I'll try to offer such price to. Will see what they say...:cool:

10. rouxeny macrumors 6502

I was unimpressed with the Apple stuff at Comp USA. I was also interested in the 30" ACD but they never had it on much of a discount and the one they had was the floor model. It was pretty scratched up and I think it's been on for a long time.

I'd rather go refurbished than Comp USA

11. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

Refurbed from Apple with Apple Care is the way to go.