Tablets Acer Announces Chrome OS Tablet

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by sracer, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ebook-tab-10-first-chrome-os-tablet-announced

tab10_2.jpg
    From the article:
    It's pretty obvious that Acer timed this to be a bit pre-emptive of Apple's education announcement tomorrow.

For those of us who are fans of Chromebooks and/or the iPad Pro (I'm a fan of both), this is very interesting news.

For me personally, it initially appears that everything that I was hoping to do with the iPad Pro (but couldn't) is going to be possible with this Chrome OS-based tablet. 2-in-1 Chromebooks already exist, but this offers those capabilities in a tablet form-factor.

Full desktop-browser experience. Support for mice. Support for removable storage. Support for USB peripherals. Without the requirement of having a physical keyboard attached.

2. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Yeah....give Acer Props for beating Apple to the punch.....the included wacom stylus also helps and a price of $329 or even less when you think of Best Buy deals will swing some in this direction. Moreover, google cloud services and apps are just more productive than any ipad especially with mouse support etc. Apple will still most likely not even include the apple pencil with the budget ipad so thats a negative already and it has no mouse support.

I'm just waiting for Samsung to release a 12 inch chrome OS tablet later this year and that may do it for me. This one is just too small.

3. sracer thread starter macrumors 604

sracer

That's where I'm leaning too. (I KNEW there was a reason for not pulling the trigger on a Samsung Chromebook Pro! :) )
    I figured that Samsung would offer something. Have you heard of anything specific?

4. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

The code name is Nautilus. Looks to be at least 12 inches with the Galaxy book form factor. This will be a pro device so just hold on a little longer. ;)

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

OMG .....I'm jumping on this.

That nine hours battery life. That's OST right?

6. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

The people in the main discussion thread on this tablet who are apple fanatics are going hysterical. They can't seem to get that this is an educational device that offers the best of both worlds for students. Even non-students will enjoy it for its productive and entertainment potential as well.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Why you think I responded in this thread instead? LOL

8. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Spec Wise, I may try this thing out for a bit...just to get acquainted with Chrome OS in a tablet form factor but it will be replaced once nautilus comes out. The specs are decent on this tablet.....and chrome OS runs totally smooth with these specs so I would not deny anyone from buying it. It can be the tiny buddy to my Acer Chromebook 15 latest version.

9. sracer thread starter macrumors 604

sracer

I'm really curious to see how far Google has gone to integrate Android with Chrome OS. My biggest gripe with Chrome OS is how poorly the file systems are integrated. The Android subsystem's file system is sandboxed so that it can't access the SD card nor internal storage that is visible to Chrome OS.

Only the "Download" folder on the internal storage is mutually accessible by both Chrome OS and Android. That needs to change, like yesterday.

10. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

That change is coming soon...I believe sometimes this summer so look out for it. But I will say, I am one of those types that will purchase a device to get use to the new form factor so this may be a instant purchase until that Samsung Chrome OS tablet arrives....

So I will definitely let you know how everything goes with this device.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2018 ---
    Also set your downloads from the chrome browser to your microsd card. That helps.......

11. sracer thread starter macrumors 604

sracer

ha! I usually do that too. But I have a huge backlog of hardware that I need to find new homes for before I get any more. My plan is to replace all of my iPads, android tablets, and notebooks with a single chromebook-based option. First I thought it would be the iPad Pro. Then the Lenovo Yoga Book (Android version)...currently my go-to device. But now these chromeOS tablets look like they might be even better. A converged filesystem would be the final piece in the puzzle.

12. SRLMJ23 macrumors 68000

SRLMJ23

13. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

We are discussing Chrome OS devices.....make a new thread for this.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2018 ---
    I spend alot of time on my chromebook. Its crazy but its gets the majority of my time as well as my Note 8 of course.......yes they do need to fix the final piece of the puzzle.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Having used my Pixelbook recently, Chrome OS needs some work as a tablet OS.

15. sracer thread starter macrumors 604

sracer

I agree. I'm hoping that this new line of Chrome OS tablets is a result of Google having done some work in that regard.

16. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I’m going to be a pessimist here for a second. This will probably change little.

17. sracer thread starter macrumors 604

sracer

Fair enough. Any optimism that I have in this regard is a result of "wishful thinking" than on any thing tangible. :p

18. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

We know they are testing two Android apps at the same time, so there’s that. My optimism is pinned on Fuchsia.

19. SRLMJ23 macrumors 68000

SRLMJ23

Only reason I brought it up is because I thought Google was integrating Android with Chrome OS? If not, my bad.

:apple:

20. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

No, they’re integrating the ability to use Android apps on Chrome OS. If it was as simple as thrusting Android into Chrome OS, it’d be further along.

21. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I had the Samsung Chromebook plus and while it was a decent laptop it was a terrible tablet, it handled Android apps poorly, saving to a SD card (does this new tablet even have one) was poor at best

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Mod note
    There is a front page article about this - please continue the discussion in there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.