Mobile OSs Acer gets it! "Android isn't broke so we won't try to fix it."

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ChazUK, Jun 14, 2013.

1. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...sn-t-broke-so-we-won-t-try-and-fix-it-1158677

Anyone pleased to see an OEM think like this? No more skins?

Sounds like a good decision to me! :D

2. otismotive77 macrumors 6502

well i dont think that's a good decision, different skins mean different variety, more competition, more features, more innovation. people love samsung and htc because of their awesome UIs.

3. Explicitic macrumors 6502

The only good thing about Acer is their Aspire S7...

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I like the fact that there are different UIs for users to choose from.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Asus has largely had the same attitude when it comes to tablets. Going with raw android is a safer bet and is certainly easier to manage.

Still wouldn't buy an android tablet thought.

6. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

All android devices should come with pure Android. This would enable Google to push out updates to everyone and all devices. It would help reduce Android fragmentation.....everyone would be on the sames OS version.....
    Then the vendor could allow you to download and install any skin you want from there site. There would not be anymore hold ups when updates are available. We would not have to wait for Samsung, HTC or whomever to release their own updates. Google informs the vendors of updates....vendor approves their devices support it.....,,,released as an available update for your devices.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

or if they would just make their skins like a launcher over the default skin. We could easily remove it if needed and it would still let us get updates.

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'm not sure people love Samsung and HTC because of TouchWiz and Sense. Sure, some people do because of the sheer number of users, but I don't think there would be a lot of people out there that would say they bought the S4 or One because of TW or Sense. It's more about the specs of the products. If you put out a high end phone, with all the specs of the S4 or One but running stock Android, I think it would sell just as well.

If you could get the Google Edition S4 or One on contract for $199 instead of through Google for $600+, then I think you'd see that people would rather have vanilla Android over the custom UI's.

9. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

Actually, I was going to buy an HTC phone because of Sense. Unfortunately, the only model available on my carrier at the time did not have enough storage and was not expandable. I got a Samsung instead, but I do miss some aspects of Sense.

10. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

You know, after I typed that, I got to thinking that Sense probably is the one UI that people actually buy phones for. I actually like it a lot and it's really nice on my One.

So I stand corrected on Sense. :D

11. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I think Acer has always felt this way, with their tablets anyway. I have an A500 (Acer tablet) it runs the basic Android UI. It has some add-on apps but those can even be disabled (feature of ICS).