Acer timeline x 13" with a nvidia gt 540m with 2gb memory?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henrikrox, Apr 6, 2011.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

So i saw this article on engadet and asked myself why this cant happen on the 13 mbp as well.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/06/...campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/engadget+(Engadget)

13, sandy bridge, higher res then 13" mbp but probably worse display quality.
    Thin and cheap.

Do you hope down the line that we will see those kind of gpu in the 13"

The gt 540m is a hella fast Card. I hear people say its not enough room in the 13 for a dedicated gpu. Bur this slim acer laptop does have space for it.

Anyway I love my 15 mbp but I love the 13 form factor. But I went this year because of the lackluster gpu in the 13.

Would drool so hard if have gotten a gt540m in the 13

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I don't understand why that Acer is two different colors...

3. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

sacrificing battery life isn't something apple likes.

4. altecXP macrumors 65816

It gets almost 7hrs in real life tests while web browsing, on a removable battery. That's the SAME as Apple, while powering two exhaust fans, to Apples one. The new model has a more power efficient CPU and only 1 exhaust fan, so that can do nothing but more the battery life go up.

In reality the only thing that the 13in MBP has over the 3830TG is a batter quality LCD, and the aluminum body(but the body is more of an opinion thing, personally I like the Acer body). The Acer has a better GPU though, and better price.

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

If you like that laptop so much, then buy it when it's released in the US (Prediction price: $1400) and Hackintosh it.

6. Chazn macrumors regular

That's a pretty good graphic card for a 13inch.

But no worries, buy the high end 15inch MBP and the 6750M will smash that away. You won't regret the purchase even if it's expensive =p

7. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

As i said, i already have the high end 15" 2011 mbp

But again, i love the 13" form factor

Oh well, ill dream that the 13" comes with a decent gpu next year ( :

8. karohan macrumors 6502

I don't think the OP is necessarily trying to pit the Acer against the Apple or anything. He's just asking why the Apple couldn't do what Acer did and put a 540m in the 13" model (considering battery life doesn't suffer much and the Acer is comparable in thinness).

I think that's a fair question to ask, and there's no point in trying to point out other things the 13" MBP has over the Acer because he's not trying to compare the two.

It's just a matter of why can't the MBP be even better than what it already is (considering that a competitor was able to do something Apple claimed nearly impossible to do in their own laptop). My conjecture is that people will buy the 13" anyway, and adding a 540m in there would only hurt profit margins.

9. Chazn macrumors regular

oh, i didn't read properly xD

If Acer can do it Apple can certainly do it. I think the reason Apple held back from putting in a good graphic card is because they want more sales on their more expensive 15inch models. Greedy Apple =p

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think the main reason is that Apple just wanted to stick with the current design and not do any major redesign. They simply switched out some chips and drivers but left more or less everything the same.
    To put in an other GPU chip on the logic board is not as easily done. The Acer has no optical drive if Apple would remove it there would be enough space to grow the logic board a bit and maybe fill the remaining space with a bigger battery. Also they would have to enhance the cooling as it is on its limits already and +30 W TDP would require at least a bigger cooling surface. That can all be done if they really wanted too.
    It collides with Apple's interests though. Their pricing model puts the small notebooks in a cheaper price range. If they made the 13" almost as powerful as the 15" they would need to adjust the prices a lot and they don't seem like they want to do that.
    Many things that are possible they don't add in the 13". Why does the Air have a higher res screen or why can't there be a freaking AG screen for the seemingly most mobile MBP. Before doing anything else they should add a HD AG screen in the MBP. They probably don't because it is such a mainstream product that the people that would choose a CTO with matte screen are relatively so few that it is not worth the hassle in assembly.