Acer to buyout Gateway

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by ReanimationLP, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well at least Gateway will be put to rest. hopefully.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If only Packard Bell were somehow involved in this. Oh, wait, they are.

So Lenovo walked away with one of the greatest crown jewels in the PC industry brandname basket, and these idiots are cobbling together a monster fit for a Cartman story.

I googled it out... at least Gateway is still worth (about $710M USD) more than they paid for eMachines (about $250M USD).

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, I think Acer and Gateway are good companies, nothing "worst" about them.

5. ReanimationLP thread starter macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Support is a nightmare, as well as some of the hardware quality, espically on Acers side.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

mmmm. maybe, I don't have personal experience with my Acer (yet), but I know my neighbor's kid dropped his acer laptop in a pool, (or somewhere in the water), Acer took it back and repaired with no questions asked...

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think we've had this discussion before, Clev, and I guess I see your point that Gateway makes some okay products, but in general, they've spent the last decade systematically destroying shareholder value and their company image. If nothing else, consider what they're worth today and how big they once were. Or the fact that 1/3 of their value is tiny, tiny eMachines, alone. And that in spite of eMachines rocket-pace growth before acquisition by Gateway, they've largely fallen off the radar since that time. Gateway is an abyss.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ha, i have to admit I know nothing about gateway as far as business strategy is concerned, I only Heard that gateway produces solid machines ages ago when I discussed it with friends.

I guess I was just saying Acer's product isn't "worst" as mentioned, according to my experience with 4 Acer machines I met.

9. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Thats definately gonna produces some crazy frankenstein computers!!!

An Acer, moulded in with a Gateway and an eMachine slapped on top!!

Better get saving lol :)

10. ReanimationLP thread starter macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I work at a computer refurbishing shop, and we got 200 Acers from the community college.

Half of them had dead mainboards.

11. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

I still have an Acer Travelmate that I bought new almost 3 years ago. It's a cheap computer and it basically does what I expect it to (mostly word processing and spreadsheets). It's not the worse computer around, but it is definitely far from the best.

12. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm not sure if acer is bad quality or not, but my folks bought a cheapie acer notebook last year (very clunky), and it overheats like nothing else (and i thought i had overheating issues with the macbook). just today, it kept shutting down due to heating issues and they had to clean out the motherboard just to cool it down. sad. they also say that notebooks aren't supposed to run heavy duty programs, and to think at one point i was going to get one of those.

and then they say macs are expensive nerd computers...

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

expensive? yes.
    nerd? Reese Witherspoon in legally blonde was using a mac, so do most teen movies. hardly a symbol of nerd. more like a symbol of fashion.

14. walangij macrumors 6502

I don't think this will offend anyone but Acer is aweful in the States. But in Asia Acer is doing very well, the computers there are, well, sexy. The components are on a higher end and they run extremely well. When I first heard that they hold a lot of market share in computers in some SE Asian countries I was like :eek:! but Acer Asia has their head on straight, unlike the fugly Acer USA computers. But the better Acer computers are just as expensive as the MBP in certain countries which is also :eek: but :apple: ain't so big over there which is why they can sell.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I used to think that way and then, my parents dumped their recent eMachines machine on me. It's been quite reliable.

Acer has a poor reputation, even in Asia but this could actually work and produce good machines. Will it help them overtake Dell? I don't think so.

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well I dunno about their computers, but I have an Acer projector. I really like it. Amazing price for a HD projector too ($750 for 720p/1080i).

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Acer US just grew 120%+ last year...

18. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

ok

i have predicted the Future! here it is!

Acer + HP + Toshiba are all bought by Microsoft(just the computers laptops+desktops) and are Microsoft

Then there is Apple!

and in 100years..apple will have a 81%Market Share and Yeah thats it

19. Arantxa macrumors member

I have a crappy gateway laptop. Do you think Acer will send me a logo sticker so I can make it into a crappy acer laptop?

20. walangij macrumors 6502

Wow, I'm impressed that Acer is doing so well, it seems that here they are in the lower end, Asia it's the higher end here I just see budget Acers.

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Although, it's kind of like saying that Windows Vista is selling 100 % above last year. I'd seen Acer machines in Staples and Sam's Club in the last few months and that's the most I'd seen of them since they only sold monitors.