Acessing files by wireless from my external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marbles, May 18, 2009.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

How can I use my Macbook to get the files off an external hd connected to my Mini , using wireless .

thanks mac experts

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

On the Mini, go to  -> System Preferences -> Sharing -> (check) File Sharing. The computer should then show up in Finder sidebar on your MacBook.

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I do it all the time. Just enable file sharing, then choose your mini in the sidebar of any finder window. It will initially connect you as a guest, but just choose connect as... and put in the admin user/pass from the mini and it should let you mount any volume or browse any folder you want on the mini.

4. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

ok guys[or gals] , thanks.

I wonder , what kind of security does Leopard offer for this situation ?

..more over , how is security applied ?[if there is any].
    newish to leopard and havent a clue with security, yet but need to have wireless secure for accessing my work from the Mini etc

thanks again.

d

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Pretty much make sure you have a secured network (AKA network password and encryption), so random people can't just log in and then sniff your shared files.

6. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

IF your newtwork is secure (WPA2 not WEP) your data will be transmitted in a secure manor.

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Make sure you secure it with WPA, and WPA2 if the hardware supports it. Make sure it's a long password (over 12 characters long) and is not in the dictionary. That's all you need to do.

8. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

thanks guys,
    I have my wireless network set up with wpa2 on the router and saying its wpa but with a different name in the airport configurating screen when I set it up[is this correct?]...it's connecting to the network so it must be, right ??

the thing I was concerned more about [even though I'm not sure the wireless is properly set up because of the different names for the wpa security] is when I'm sharing the files from my mini to the macbook , what security is in place for that connection, the one directly with the mini ...how is that secured ?...

thanks again .
    ~d