Achieving Ethernet Speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pazaakshark, Dec 24, 2013.

1. pazaakshark macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, not too sure where to post this but I have a question for those with good LAN networking experience.

My Mac is upstairs in my room and my Airport downstairs, I want to be able to get ethernet speeds from upstairs. Now my question is:

if I were to get another airport and have it in my room (using it to extend the signal from downstairs) and had that connected via ethernet to my Mac, would I get ethernet speeds, or would it still be wireless due to the signal from original airport wirelessly transferring to the second airport?

If so any other suggestions?

Thanks! :)

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Direct cable connection is really the only way to get full speed, wireless just does not do it probably never will.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Why woud you expect that an AirPort router will get better wifi reception upstairs, than your Mac currently does?
    Where do you hope the signal improvement suddenly come from?

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Sounds like he was hoping the 2nd base would have a better antenna than the Mac.

I have an upstairs base and had worse signal downstairs in a corner room. The signal was going diagonal, through a wall, then the floor (two obstacles). Adding a 2nd base upstairs above the corner room as a repeater - each 'step' now goes through only one obstacle and speeds are much improved. If your base is already directly below the Mac, this would not help.

5. opinio macrumors 65816

What do you mean by 'ethernet'? 100 or Gigabit? Also what 'AirPort do you have? because the Extreme or TC runs at Gigabit while the Express only connects via ethernet at 100. I find wifi on my Macs over a reasonably good connection is faster than 100 because the WiFi transmit rate is often 300-450 Mbps (depending on the Mac).

You left out too many details.

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The bigger question, is there something internal on your network that you need "ethernet speeds" to connect to? For most home internet connections WiFi speed is more than enough.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you had an AC card, and the new AirPort Extreme or AirPort Time Capsule you could in theory get Ethernet (Gigabit) speeds.