Acid Reflux

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Turkish, May 10, 2007.

1. Turkish macrumors 6502

Just curious (and yes, I’ll see my GP about it at some point) – does anyone here have problems with acid reflux?

I’ve been waking up in the middle of the night lately (two times a week or so) with a burning sensation in my larynx and chest, and (yuck) the taste of stomach acid in my mouth. I’m assuming this is acid reflux.

Just looking for people with similar experiences, what you ended up doing about it, habits to change, etc.

Thanks.

2. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I've had that a bit recently. I think part was caused by stress and depression, and the other part by allergies. There are all kinds of causes though. Coffee, food etc. google it!

3. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

You have to get to your GP, the may do a gastroscopy (stick a tube down your throat, you'll be mildly sedated and won't feel much more than a slight gag). I was popping Pantaloc (very effective) and Tums ( maybe effective when it was mild. Still take it sometimes before I jog). When it was really bad, I dropped all coffee, drank only hot water, (milk did not help at all), gave up my favorite hot and spicy Indian food. I never ate much before going to sleep ( a big no no with reflux), usually stay away from fried stuff too, and avoided martinis. Now, I have 2 cups of espresso (less caffeine for more bang) and am back on martinis. Good luck......

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Probably Acid Reflux, but could be something more serious. See your GP.

Until then...cut back on chocolate, caffeine, mint. Try to elevate the head of your bed just slightly. Probably wouldn't hurt taking a Zantac or similar with your dinner meal either. As said above, stress is a factor.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Ditto to what Legolamb said about not eating or drinking for, say, a couple of hours before bed. I was mainly noticing the symptoms at night, like the OP described, and avoiding late-night snacks has done a lot to help with that.

6. Turkish thread starter macrumors 6502

So you guys have experienced that funk taste/nasty burning sensation?

I googled, but wanted some other input.

7. crackpip macrumors regular

I developed this a few years ago. I finally went to the doctor when my esophogus would spasm making the food get stuck as I swallowed (it would feel like eating a peanut butter sandwich too quickly). The doc said the medicine (a ppi-inhibitor) has few side effects and has been around for a long time. So I took it for a while, eventually everything healed so I stopped taking it. Then I lost my prescription insurance so when it returned I tried some alternate things:

1. I eat more meals. I eat as soon as I wake up. I take a normal size lunch and then eat parts of it every couple hours. I eat a normal dinner.

2. When I eat, I try to keep my meals carb/protein balanced. For example, a sandwich with with lunchmeat or peanut butter. I'll eat corn chips or bread just before or after I eat yogurt or cottage cheese, etc.

3. This one is what I feel has been the best for me. I make sure to drink lots of water. I've read in several places that a person should drink about half their weight (in lbs) in fluid ounces of water per day (i.e. 200 lb guy should drink around 100 fl oz). With exercise and drinking things like coffee and alcohol, this amount may get up to as much as three quarters.

In the last two years as long as I drink enough water, I have had hardly any trouble with acid reflux. Even on days when I haven't been able to stick with my regular meal plan or on nights that I eat snacks or deserts before I go to bed.

By the way, one of the relatively rare side effects of the whole class of drugs often used to treat AR is increased sensitivity to hazelnuts. I know this because I developed it. My throat would close up if I ate bread that was made on a machine that touched hazelnuts. It was bit disconcerting, and besides losing my prescription insurance, prompted me to look for other ways to deal with the AR. Epipens are quite expensive.

I also agree with everyone else, you should definitely go see your doc.

crackpip

8. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

I gotta pass on the old remedy of organic apple cider vinegar. Google it and you can find some recipes that taste good. Antacids and those other medications lose effectiveness after a while. Also, they tell pregnant women to sleep with two pillows and on your left side. Losing weight can also help.

9. Turkish thread starter macrumors 6502

I could stand to lose some weight, but I am normally really good about not eating late/before I go to bed. I can't force myself to sleep elevated, so that's out.

Just the most annoying thing ever to wake up with that horrid taste in your mouth and a sore throat.

Blech. :mad:

10. iowamensan macrumors 6502

I had it every day, going through a bottle of tums every two weeks or so, waking up at night, nothing could touch my stomach or it would fire up a bad episode, you name it. Tried Prilosec OTC, and it is gone. Literally changed my life. Talked to my doctor, and he said if it works for me to just keep taking it. It is truly a miracle drug for me.

11. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

When I had it, I just put a one inch board under the headboard end of my mattress. It's creates a nice gentle slope...so you probably won't even notice it. It's worth a try.

12. Tonsko macrumors 6502

My gf finds that pepper (as in capsicum) and cucumber gives her acid reflux.

13. eawmp1, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Seeking medical advice online (particularly on a computer forum) is I'll-advised. Definitely see your MD. Untreated reflux can cause changes in the esophagus that can lead o esophageal cancer. Chonic sinus disease, lung damage are other sequelae.

1) weight loss
    2) avoid eating large meals, or close to bedtime
    3) alcohol, smoking, mint oils, certain medications can relax the lower esophageal sphincter and lead to reflux
    4) 4-6" elevation of head of bed (bricks under the bed frame legs)

Your MD may try an acid reducer to minimize the causticity of the reflux, perhaps allowing healing. If you persist in having symptoms or have recurrence after the trial of medication is one, expect an esophagogastroduodenoscopy.

14. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Good point, she finds peppermint capsules alleviate it somewhat.

But yeh. Forget our advice, see a doc!

15. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

My experience with reflux is largely in neonates and we rarely scope them but adults are obviously a little bit different. You sound like you have pretty mild disease as it's only occurring at night when you can't rely on gravity to keep the contents of your stomach where they are supposed to be.

I very much doubt you'd be sent for further investigations based on the history you've given, more likely as not you'd be advised to make some lifestyle changes +/- started on some appropriate medication - antacids include 5ht-antagonists or proton pump inhibitors.

It won't hurt to see your GP but in the meantime it might be worth keeping a diary of what you've eaten and when to try to identify which foods and timings make things worse or better. Fatty meals at the end of the day will be slower to clear the stomach and are therefore much more likely to cause reflux. Spicy foods and alcohol will likely also exacerbate things.

16. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Our family (on the mothers side) all seem to have this or variants of it. I suspect there's a genetic link.

I did at one point consider buying shares in Bayer (makers of Rennie) with the amount I was going through.

Like most men I refused to see the GP - after all - what can they do? Following some 'gentle' persuasion from 'her indoors' i.e. she made the appointment and suggested none too tactfully I would be in big trouble if I didn't go - so I went.

He prescribed omeprazole and it was amazing. Symptoms all vanished. Have just run out so will be going back for a further chat.

Go and see your GP...

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Oh yes, especially after a sleeping for an extended period of time. The burning on the tongue is also popular.

18. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Damn! Missed that.

20. Tonsko macrumors 6502

That makes no sense at all! I found it using the 'New posts' button. I apologise.