Acid Reflux

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by scottness, Dec 11, 2009.

1. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you are going to sleep soon - nothing is the best thing you can eat.

3. scottness thread starter macrumors 65816

scottness

Yeah, I know. But if I were to eat (and I could seriously eat now)... What's good to eat with my condition?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have no idea; I think you might suffer no matter what you eat.

5. scottness thread starter macrumors 65816

scottness

You're probably right. I wish there were a hack to this problem.

6. Blinkwing macrumors member

7. scottness thread starter macrumors 65816

scottness

Never thought about soup... Thanks.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It wasn't late. It was early. 'Bout the time I got up after my 8 hours.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Nothing salty or spicy. Bread would work. I have it too. Nexium IMO is the best and only medicine that works.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't suffer from acid reflux but I do avoid eating anything 2 - 4 hours before bedtime. So if I turn in around 11:00, I try to avoid eating anything after 7:00.

For me, its more of the fact that body does not a full chance to metabolize the food and instead will convert it into fat for later processing. Since I'm so anal about my weight.

The point I'm trying to make, is that this mentality works well for those who suffer from acid reflux as well, even if it means going to bed hungry.

11. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Back when i had this I had a glass of milk at night. That usually did the trick.

I suffered through this for about 10 years or so and it was getting worse. I was popping at least a couple of prevacids or nexiums per day, exceeding the recommended dosages in order to eliminate it. Funny thing is though, you went to the doc and they gave you stronger dosages of the same meds you bought over the counter.

Well...then I lost 60+ pounds ( going from 230s to 170s) in about 4 months in late 2007 and bam! Reflux has been gone for two years. I have not had a bit of it (even heartburn) and I basically eat when i want. Weight can have a lot to do with this disease.

12. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I get it too, but usually in the morning rather than at night. I have read up on it a good bit. It is recommended to not eat 3 hours or less before you go to bed. Elevating your head or sleeping on your left side is said help prevent acid reflux with some. Gravity is your friend. Exercise can help as well since it helps the digestive process. If you are late-night snacker, stay away from large meals, acidic foods, chocolate, and caffiene. I never seem to have problems with dairy products, like ice-cream or cereal type snacks. Bread and grain products seem to be pretty safe in general. I get thirsty at night occassionally and this is sometimes a problem for me. If there is food in me yet to be digested, even drinking some water seems to activate the acids and lying in bed may cause reflux. I try to drink enough water before bed so I don't get thirsty later on.

For me, it seem to take some minor lifestyle changes, such as what I eat in the morning, exercise and avoiding late meals. I no longer take vitamins in the morning because it got to the point where I was getting serious reflux and heartburn from them. I am pretty sure I get reflux because it runs in my family. I still get it from time-to-time, so I just make sure I keep a bottle of Tums nearby. Antacids works pretty well for me.

13. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I would avoid soup and vegetables. Both have low absorption, digest very quickly, and contain little, if any antacids.

Acid reflux is mostly caused by the wall between the esophagus and stomach not closing as it should. This wall closes in order to prevent the acids from entering into the esophagus. Soups and vegetables digest quickly, activating the acid with little abosorption. Lying down allows for these acids to come up into the esophagus when the esophageal wall doesn't close.

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

15. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

For me water makes it worse. Milk is really bad. I have a soda cracker or two if it feels like I might have problems. I don't eat for a few hours before bed. I won't have pizza for dinner. Nothing worse than pizza dreams and waking up to gagging on my own digestive juices.

16. scottness thread starter macrumors 65816

scottness

I'm in a much different time zone...

Anyway, tonight, it's French bread and water. Thanks for all your feedback.

17. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Me too. Water could be the worst of everything (though coffee is right up there). I'd start with a Pepcid or similar then eat something but don't over eat...

18. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I drink milk and it never gives me any problems. Probably because it is pretty neutral in terms of pH level. Avoid any and all candy many hours before going to bed; this makes me have heartburn so badly I can't sleep.

19. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Oh, now I see that you're in Nuuanu. What was I thinking? :confused:

20. scottness thread starter macrumors 65816

scottness

It's a long way from here to Milwaukee...

Anyway, I'm having great success with eating plain bread lately. Not much flavor, but filling enough and I've been able to sleep. Thanks for all your replies!

21. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, and I bet you knew that without having to look on a virtual map! :D