[Acid Vision] Awesome Filters + Face Melts (Available for FREE!)

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by froggystudios, Jul 26, 2011.

1. froggystudios macrumors newbie

Yo, check this out! Fastest way to have some quick fun with it is to snag the app and click the little spiral icon on the left side of the tool-bar. Play with some "quick pick" effects, then once you're pumped enough, go crazy customizing your way towards a triply visual bliss.

Free: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/acid-vision/id436928817?mt=8
    Paid: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/acid-vision-free/id448037560?mt=8

[​IMG]

The longer explanation:

"Acid Vision" is basically like an extended photobooth with way more content. You can apply "filters" and "warps" to live video or to images. Warps let you bend the screen, you can modify them and drag points around in real-time. Filters are nifty effects that colorize and change the actual pixels for effects like "8-bit," "zombie," "obama vision," and many many more. You can stack multiple filters together, swap the order they are applied, and combine them with warps for some outrageous effects! Everyone who I've showed this to has had a lot of fun with it, you can't help but smile when you see all the amazing effects in action. There's effects that will make you laugh, ones that make you say "Whoa!," and everything in-between!

Please give this a whirl, I know you'll like it. I would be thrilled to have you would rate it as well (even if you hate it, I still wanna know!) If you're hesitant, grab the free version!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notes:

Double-tap outside the menu to show/hide the toolbar (go fullscreen).

You can drag the control toolbar up and down with the pad in the center of the toolbar.

Because of the video & front camera features, iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are the recommended devices for this.

Retina display resolution on all UI!

2. psonice macrumors 6502a

(Disclaimer: I'm an iOS dev working on somewhat similar realtime camera apps, but nothing that really competes with this. That does put me in a good position to see how well made the app is though :))

Just tried the free version. Looks good, nice UI work! The effects: they're pretty cool. The warp effects are great, and reasonably smooth. You could have a lot of fun with those! The filters are nice, a little slow though, go work on that - you can get these effects running at 30fps.

It's definitely worth giving the free version a go if you like this kind of camera effects app.

3. froggystudios thread starter macrumors newbie

Yo, thanks much for the feedback - if you have any questions or anything for your app, fire me an e-mail (admin@froggystudios.com) and I'd be happy to help -- and I'll definitely check out your app once it's out! Sorry I am slow in replying to this, didn't think anyone at all replied to any of the posts I made :p.

I am gonna try to speed it up, I did spend a good deal of time trying to optimize stuff already (although you're right, I can probably do more). Are you on a 4?

Half the speed thing is that I software rotate every single frame as it comes in (they come in landscape at 480 x 360). All the convolution filters (edge one + 'metal' one have to do like 9 operations for each pixel, so those become tough to make speedy)

I am also re-branding this in the next update, ha ha, so it might have a different name & icon.

4. psonice macrumors 6502a

Yep, iphone 4. A few hints:

- If you're doing software, try making a UIImage, rotate it with a CGTransform and draw it in a CGContext to get the image data back. I think that should be hardware accelerated (doing the data copy on the CPU will be much slower, I've hit this issue in one of my apps where it was doing a ton of visual effects at high speed, then a simple memory copy loop was killing performance :( )

- There's a GPU in there. If you ask that to do these effects, it'll go "pfft! next!" :D You should be able to increase resolution and run at full framerate if you use GLSL processing. The downside is that it gets a lot more complicated, and you lose support for iPhone 3g/2g.

- iOS 5 and the core image framework. GPU accelerated image processing for speed, and it's much easier than openGL. If iOS 5 only is OK, take a good look at that, and maybe try 'Quartz Composer' on your mac (it's part of the SDK, you'll find it in the /developer folder somewhere). In that, add a 'video input' patch, a 'core image filter' (and connect the video's output to the filter's input) and a billboard (and connect the filter's output to the billboard's input). Then have a play with the filter. Give me a shout if that's not clear, or ask on kineme.net :)