AcidSearch 0.5 Available

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Acidsearch 0.5 is now available -- in particular, the find-as-you-type box works properly in Tiger now; the complete list of improvements is below.

Link to AcidSearch 0.5 homepage

For those who do not know, AcidSearch enables one to add different search engines to Safari's search bar in a very easy way -- I find it even easier to customize than the Firefox searchplugins. :) It can also be used to bring a search bar to the bottom of the Safari window, similar to the one implemented in Moz browsers.

It is typically available in a number of language localizations, although they may not all be available yet.

Enjoy! :)

Changes in AcidSearch 0.5

- Press Return to follow a selected link
- Input Box works properly in Tiger
- Down arrow in search field works properly in Tiger
- Edit Search Channels window redesigned
- Copy/Paste channel images
- Create search channels using the POST method
- Set the quick search to automatically open a new window/tab
- Automatically checks for new versions
- New Features in AcidSearch 0.41
- French localization updated
- Channel-dragging bug fixed
- Option-drag Search Channels to duplicate them

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Nice catch...

Closing Safari to install... :)

Edit: Seems fine. Crashed Safari when I tried to use post on a random search, but other than that it feel ok. ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hehe. It seems okay to me so far, will have to see. Actually I really do like AcidSearch a lot. And I've been playing around with my usercontent.css file, because I don't like that other plug-in that we're not supposed to talk about, very much. :D It was interesting that most places said the usercontent.css file could not be used to selectively stop embedded flash in Safari, but actually, this is very possible. So I'm very happy to have learned it!

Learning how to manipulate the features of Safari to make it usable is like a fun game! :) I just might stick with this thing even after Deer Park is finalized. I definitely have gotten accustomed to having inline spell-checking. Although, it seems like DP and SpellBound will be able to do that fairly soon.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Hmmm... small problem with 0.51: The "New Channel"-button isn't working... anyone else have this problem?

Of course I can make a new search channel by adding a new separator and give that an URL and rename it, but it is a bit of a hassle...

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
Been using AcidSearch for a while and always liked it. Much easier then haxing safaris default search. Thanks for the notification it was updated.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This is one of the many reasons why I love MacRumors! I never knew this even existed, but now that I know about it, I think I'll be making great use out of it. Thanks for the info mkrishnan! :cool:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Was finally fed up with the, above mentioned, non functional New Channel button, so I first deleted the preference file and when that didn't work performed a full uninstall and reinstall. Now it works just fine.

BTW: There was another AcidSearch-thread about AcidSearch causing beach-balling thanks to some trouble with the automatic version checker, but that problem is now fixed (noticed because my total reinstall has enabled the checker, again). :)