All iPads Ack! Can't decide which iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tl01, Oct 27, 2013.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

I started a different thread about iPads earlier... but now I'm sort of on the fence. I was planning to get rid of my iPad 3 and my mini and get the retina Mini. But now I'm sort of sad about losing the full size iPad I never use! I like the Mini bc I can fit three of them a purse I bought and I carry one from myself and one for each of my two kids when we go out to dinner or somewhere else. I know the Air will be too big for me to carry in that purse and yet now I feel like I want it! I totally didn't anticipate wanting it! I looked at the screen of my iPad 3 and I really love it... it looks so nice. I wonder if the smaller Mini screen will look as awesome. Ugh! Maybe I'll get the mini and keep the iPad 3... I really only surf, do e mail, and watch movies on my iPads.

2. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Good summation of first world problems....

Just kidding, but really, why start yet ANOTHER thread about which one to get? By now we pretty much have beat the proverbial horse to death with all the threads talking about on the fence/torn people (yes, I'm included), so why not look at the other threads and make your own decision instead of asking someone else to make it for you.

Or let me make it for you...buy both a Mini 2 and Air, you'll love 'em both!

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I did read all the other ones... And still couldn't decide. I don't think financially that I should do that. I am also upgrading my kids minis for Christmas (if they are in stock).... So that's a lot of money to spend on iPads. It seems wasteful to have two for one person. Of course it's a first world problems. Most of the discussions here are first world problems. I hardly see anyone discussing hunger and shelter issues here.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

So you can't decide on which unreleased product to purchase, awesome.

5. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

So I should wait until they are released to decide? That's a great plan.. Except I plan to order online before I see them.

6. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Get the iPad mini 2 because:

1. You never use the full sized iPad
    2. You can't fit a full sized iPad in your purse
    3. You're only sad to get rid of the iPad you never use because the screen looks nice
    4. The 2nd gen iPad Mini has a retina display that will look just as nice

7. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

This is probably the stupidest post I've seen on macrumors, and that's saying a lot.

8. addictzz macrumors 6502

it's all about portability and whether u like bigger or smaller physical screen estate.

9. Epiphron macrumors regular

its portability vs productivity. for me, its ipad air because i need a full size keyboard case to go with it. although the mini's small size is so tempting :[ sigh firstworldproblems

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In the OP's situation, I'd get the mini and keep the 3. Considering the amount of things you have to carry, every ounce counts when going out. The 3 should be good for using at home for another year. Then next year, keep the mini(s) and get the new Air. Repeat ad Infinitim, or until the product lineup changes significantly.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I forget that patiences doesn't exist on Macrumors.

I'm sorry, carry on.

12. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

If you can't wait then you'll be buying the iPad Air. There isn't a solid release date on the Mini yet.

13. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

14. 1251division macrumors member

Get the Retina mini. You can always get an Air later if you feel you need it after going without for a little while. Plus you'll have to wait longer to get the Retina mini if you get the Air and decide later you want the Retina mini.

15. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was actually thinking of getting the air at release and then deciding if it is too big;).

16. addictzz macrumors 6502

since you have iPad 3, get Retina Mini for now.

Update your iPad 3 to iPad 6 (or iPad Air 2 if you will) for 8MP cam and touch ID ;)

17. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

It honestly does sound like you're the perfect candidate to buy both iPads. They are designed for different purposes. There's no doubt you'd be able to benefit from deploying iPad Mini and iPad Air collectively in your productivity ecosystem of life.

18. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

If I was in your situation, I'd buy the air for myself, and not worry about upgrading the kid's minis. The Air is closer in weight to the Mini's, so hopefully it will fit in your purse as needed. And kids... Unless their Mini's just don't work for them for some reason, they likely wouldn't care much about the upgrade. At least for my 13 and 15 year old, I don't think they'd see enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. Especially since they're not paying for them. :).

In any case, I'd get the air now, and see how it goes. No reason to make a decision on the Mini's until release day.

C

19. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

So why wait? If I buy the air and like it and it fits my need then I just stick with it. Maybe the smaller size of it will need up working for me and I get the best of both worlds. :bangs head on desk:

----------

I need more space on their iPads. We travel a lot via car and they use my data to stream stuff. I'm tired of deleting and downloading content all the time. I'd like them to be able to take more with them.

20. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Good enough reason to get bigger ones.

Clint

21. curtoise macrumors 6502a

Same here I'm planning to upgrade mi kids IPad minis as they need more space for the same reason, travel, movies,etc

What do they have now in terms of storage and what are you planning to upgrade to?

22. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Don't know how old your kids are, but since you're carrying their iPads, I suspect they're still fairly young. Why not leave those iPads home, and teach your kids the art of conversation. Just a thought.

23. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

+1

They are probably using the ipad to imessage each other during dinner...

24. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Mini, all the way. Much better and manageable screen size.

1 pound for the Air seems light, and it is, but the Mini will still be substantially lighter and easier to handle in use cases.

iPad Air is only there I think for people who work a lot on their iPad and like to watch a lot of videos. You can still do it on the Mini of course, but screen real estate like that is best suited to actual work environments, as I find watching a movie on my Mini just as fine as my iPad 3 (sans the non-retina, but the 2 will solve that).

25. MacMandy macrumors 6502

MacMandy

Keep your options open

Hi OP, this is what I would do in your situation. Sell your mini and buy the air. See how you get on with it for up to 14 days. If you're happy, then keep it and sell your ipad 3. If it's too big etc and you miss the mini, the take the air back and get the mini retina later in the month, keeping your ipad 3.

I think it's too difficult to decide just on specs and pictures. You need some hands-on.

I had a mini 1st gen that I sold a few weeks ago, and it was going to get a retina mini, but I'm going with the air now after borrowing my husbands ipad 4 whilst I've been ipadless ! I love the screen estate as I do a fair bit of typing and watch films. Shave off 30% weight and slim it down, then :)it's the best of both worlds for me.

Let us know how you get on and what you decide.

Good luck :)