Acne!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Jun 3, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Alright, well, last year I had a serious acne problem.

I didn't go on any medicines because I am scared to use them because of side effects. Instead, I improved my diet, drank more water, shaved more often, and didn't touch my face and all my acne has cleared up. I get the occasional pimple every once and awhile, but that is to be expected, I am 15 afterall.

I had body acne too, on the chest and back. That is all gone too, however, here is my problem. Where the pimples once were, there are stains, dark red in color. They have been there since March. I was hoping they would go away on their own, but they haven't. And now it is summer, and I want to start boating again, but am scared of showing off my stained up bod. :p

Anyone have any proven methods of getting rid of stained skin?

Thanks!

2. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I'm 16, I used medication and have been using meds ever since I started breaking out.

They aren't "stains" they are "scars." You could try some scar softener? :confused:

3. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Ohhh, NOOOOO!!!

I have no tips, but am interested.

4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Nope, they're probably not scars. OP, what you've described is known as post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. The best way to get rid of them is just to wait... they can take 6 months to a year to fade. If you want to make them go away faster, you can try applying AHA, get a chemical peel/microdermabrasion, or see a dermatologist to try a topical retinoid (like Retin-A). By the way, make sure you wear sunscreen because sun exposure will make the hyperpigmentation last longer.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yup, I'm 40 and I get these from time to time. They WILL go away on their own if you leave them alone. It might take a while, but they'll eventually go away. Just try to keep your skin clean in the meantime.

6. Rich3303 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem up until a few months ago. I started eating less greasy or sweet foods and drank more water. Eventually it cleared up without using any real medication. Getting some sun helps a whole lot too.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Time heals all wounds. ;)

or

It's pretty much a fact of life for teenagers since the dawn of humanity. Just wait it out.

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

There is this amazing product called ProActive on TV all the time, I think it's like $19.99 free shipping...?

But seriously, just take more showers

9. a1rflow macrumors member

Don't use ProActive. It's costs way to much for what you can buy over the counter.

Go to http://www.acne.org. Plenty of resources there and especially for scar treatment. I believe they recommend something called AHA (alpha hydrox) lotion and they sell it in a huge bottle for pretty cheap. The forums there are pretty helpful to.

I had pretty bad acne for a long time before I started following the regimen on that website. Check it out.

10. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Lol.

17 now, completely cleared up. Feels :Dgood man.

11. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I have used ProActive and I can say it sucks. Not only wasn't it effective, but after a while I became intolerant to it and had to spend the two days it took me to realize it was causing my red swollen face on Benadryl.

You can't go wrong with either Minocyclin (antibiotics) or Neo-Medrol (topical antibiotic cream). I'm 18 and all my face pimples are gone. I still have some on the shoulders, but they are starting to become less common. As others said, just wait, unless you really have a lot of acne.

12. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

Eating healthy, staying healthy, drinking water, showering >>>> medications.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And reading ingredient info, for salt content. ;)

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Showering more often won't help (and may even make things worse!).
    Eating the right foods and drinking lots of water may have a small positive effect, but is not the solution either!

The problem is clogged pores, and that's either caused by you touching and picking at your own face (your fault), or bacteria that acts to clog pores. Use something that will kill the bacteria, such as an anti-biotic prescription medication, or an off-the-shelf benzoyl peroxide cream (which is what Pro-Active basically is, but with better marketing).

And if you need to touch your face, wash your hands before doing so. I'm not saying that this is easy at first, but it really helps.

Over-washing your face will just make it dry, which will then cause your body to produce more oil to alleviate the dryness, which then increases your chance of getting new pimples.

I used to get acne, and I found that the best solution was not touching my face, and NOT washing it with anything except water (at night, and maybe in the afternoon if I've been sweating and working hard). Don't freak out if you touch your forehead and feel that it's a bit oily. I used to worry about this and wash whenever my face felt a little bit oily, because this oil is what I thought was causing my acne (as clogged pores is what I read to be the cause of acne). I was wrong about washing. ;) It's the new oil that's produced by the skin that's the main concern, not the oil that's already there. Just don't give your body reasons to produce more oil, and make sure you don't wash all oil off your face 10 times a day!

15. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Go see a dermatologist. Get the facts about medications - oral or topical. Go with the recommendations you're most comfortable with.

16. lsmith1 macrumors newbie

has anyone used Aknicare?

I have had acne for the last year and have tried a few products which didnt work. i recently was recommeded Aknicare and so far its fantastic. It has really cleared up my spots. Has anyone used it?

17. elizabethjane macrumors member

elizabethjane

This poster knows their skincare. Totally agree 100%