Acomdata External drive wont mount

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by g4manimac, Feb 21, 2013.

1. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Ok I ordered a external hdd case which is firewire and 4 pin and a new hitachi travelstar 40 gb hard drive with intentions to copy my hard drive for a backup.When I put my drive in and plug it in with firewire I can hear the disc spinning and the blue light comes on but nothing happens not anything.The way the 4 pin works is it has a 4 pin on one end at two usb's on the other end and when I plug the 4 pin into the hdd case and both usb into my computer nothing happens I can plug the firewire in when its plugged up like this and nothing happens either.When I plug one of the usb into my iphone charging brick and the other usb into my computer a message pops up saying the disk inserted is not readable by this computer but I can press initialize and it opens in disc utility but when I try to parition or erase it an error message pops up saying wrong input/output but when I plug in the firewire when its in disc utility it dissappears.Anyone got any Ideas that I could try anything would be greatly appreciated!

2. simsaladimbamba

A little formatting would help with easier readability. Breaks and paragraphs are the common tools to do that.

Anyway, are you sure, you meant Firewire 400 and USB?

[​IMG]

I just ask, as one cannot use Firewire on one end and USB on the other.
    Please confirm, what plugs/ports you use on what exact Mac with what exact Mac OS X version.

To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
    [​IMG]
    To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

3. g4manimac thread starter macrumors 6502

Im on 10.5.8 a powerbook 15.2 1.5ghz and yeah I'm mixed up I have so many cables I've pulled out today it has two firewire 400 ports and also a MINI usb port and a 6v plug in slot which I just tried to no avail.

4. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Mind me asking where you got the enclosure from? Your best bet for compatibility and less headaches would be OWC. Check out their Mercury Extreme External enclosures. You will be glad you did. I have one and I am more than satisfied with it. No mini firewire ends to mess with.

Simple interfaces of eSATA, Firewire 400/800, and of course USB 2.0/1.1 - Remember, if you use USB, you will need to go into open firmware and type: devalias and find ud. Once ud(USB DEVICE) is found.. type: boot ud:.\\:tbxi - This will boot Leopard and anything else via USB!

Firewire is the best as it is known to work on PowerPC Macs.

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Acomdata is out of business as far as I know, was this a new enclosure and new hard drive that someone had for some time?

I have some Acomdata enclosures. Two Mini-Pals, that I only use with Firewire. I am fixing a friend's Acomdata that is USB only and I noticed that there is a weak link at the USB port.

Test your firewire and usb cords and make sure they are okay -- it takes at least a minute for the disks to mount.

6. g4manimac thread starter macrumors 6502

Theyre old stock for sure but also new never opened.I will check the wires tommorow when I plug it in the blue light comes on but thats it.Sometimes when im plugging it in at about half way plugged in the red light comes on which means reading/wrinting so it could be the cord.