Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmaccanada

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
I am patiently waiting for my new 14 in. ibook g4 superdrive bought on a bulk purchase through my university. Unfortunately it's not the new model -- but we did get a decent discount. My computer is now being held captive by our techies, who are doing setup, etc. As I await my new purchase I have been spending a lot of time in this forum trying to figure out what else I need.

I have already purchased 1 g 3rd party ram (through CanadaRam).

I have been thinking about an external hard drive (my ibook has 60gb). Does anyone know anything about this one?

Acomdata 160GB Hard Drive Push-button back up, USB 2, PC / MAC

It is USB 2 (not firewire) but is being offered now at an amazing discount from Compusmart. (was $229, now $99 with rebates).

I know that some suggest building your own external. This is not my thing. I just want to buy something and plug it in.

Thanks

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
LaCie makes good stuff...

Personally, I'm a fan of LaCie external hard drives. I'd also go for FireWire over USB2, since it is a bit faster and I like to have my USB ports for other peripherals. I'm not sure if there's any truth to this, but I remember reading somewhere that it's not possible to make a bootable backup of one's system through a USB2 connection. I don't know the reason why it can't be done, but that's apparently the case. Having an exact duplicate of my PowerBook hard drive on an external drive has proven to be very convenient and is a great Plan B in case my laptop hard drive were to ever die. I mean, I could just plug in my external and keep on working as if nothing had changed!

I have a 250GB FireWire LaCie hard drive...it works beautifully and I am more than happy with it. It even matches my PowerBook! It did cost a pretty penny though...here's a link:

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10384

If anyone here can clarify whether or not you can make a bootable backup on a USB2 drive, I'd be much obliged!

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
After more research...

I looked into the Acomdata hard drive you mentioned, since 160GB for $99 is a pretty sweet deal. I thought it looked good and that it would make an excellent drive for media storage, but not backup, so I sent the link to my roommate in New Brunswick, who was looking to buy an external for his Dell laptop (ugg...).

He bit like a rainbow trout, running out to the local CompuSmart store immediately and buying one. What can I say, he's an impulsive fellow! Anyway, upon opening the box, he saw a little note enclosed, with the heading "Isn't it great when you get more than what you asked for?". The note went on to explain that the company had problems producing a USB2-only drive, so they decided to include FireWire as an added bonus. It supports both USB2 and FireWire 400. I s*** you not, good sir!

I'm going to get my roommate to pick me up one or two of these drives within the next week, and I whole-heartily recommend you consider it too! Excellent find, my man! :D :D :D

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
elfin buddy said:
Personally, I'm a fan of LaCie external hard drives. I'd also go for FireWire over USB2, since it is a bit faster and I like to have my USB ports for other peripherals. I'm not sure if there's any truth to this, but I remember reading somewhere that it's not possible to make a bootable backup of one's system through a USB2 connection. I don't know the reason why it can't be done, but that's apparently the case. Having an exact duplicate of my PowerBook hard drive on an external drive has proven to be very convenient and is a great Plan B in case my laptop hard drive were to ever die. I mean, I could just plug in my external and keep on working as if nothing had changed!

I have a 250GB FireWire LaCie hard drive...it works beautifully and I am more than happy with it. It even matches my PowerBook! It did cost a pretty penny though...here's a link:

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10384

If anyone here can clarify whether or not you can make a bootable backup on a USB2 drive, I'd be much obliged!

That is the one I have... Tri interface. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.