AcomData External HD freezes my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kotnirid, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Kotnirid macrumors newbie

I have a 3 year old 200GB AcomData external HD. I use it everyday at work with my Mac Pro tower running 10.5.5. It has always worked like a champ. Yesterday afternoon I went to open up a file and it gave me a warning that the file was not recognizable. It was a file I open almost every day. I tried a newer file and it gave me the same warning. I tried to eject it but it wouldn't let me. So I shut down my computer and disconnected it. I restarted my machine. Once it was up, I connected my external again (using firewire as usual) and the screen went black from top to bottom and a waring came up saying, "Hold down the power key for several seconds to shut down your computer". I tried it on another mac at work and got the same results, and again on my tower and laptop at home. I have about 150GB backed up on other hard drives but desperately need that other 50GB. Any suggestions? Oh, I also tried all of the ports on the back and tried using a different firewire cable. No luck. Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sounds like the hard drive is failing. I think it's time to upgrade to a 750+ GB drive in that enclosure...

Speaking of upgrading, is there any reason you're still using 10.5.5?

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that would probably be a IDE drive/enclosure dont forget...

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oh yeah, better check the interface before you go out and buy.

5. Kotnirid thread starter macrumors newbie

But how do I retrieve the info????

Thanks, I already bought a 2TB external. I figured my AcomData 200GB was failing but how do I retrieve the info on it if it forces a shut down on every computer I hook it up to? Thanks.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

But you don't know if it's the drive itself or the enclosure's controller. You ought to buy a Universal Drive Adapter and pull that drive to see if it's in good working order.