Acomdata Samba Experience/Feedback?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dborja, May 30, 2008.

1. dborja macrumors 6502a

First of all, I did search and didn't find a specific answer to my question...

I just replaced my enclosure with an Acomdata Samba. The drive came from a Maxtor OneTouch III (it's a Maxtor PATA 320GB drive). What's nice is that the Samba takes both SATA and PATA drives, it's very quiet, runs pretty cool to the touch and comes up reliably as my Time Machine drive. One issue, though, is that it never sleeps. It's directly connected to my iMac but it will not sleep when my iMac sleeps or is turned off. Anybody with experience on Sambas and having similar issues or fixes?

TIA,
    Dale

2. flick macrumors newbie

samba mambo

I just got one as well - using a seagate 80gig pata left over from my g4.

It seems to lock up when transferring files - no idea why. Tried switching the master / slave jumper from "slave" to "cable select" and did all the various disk utility, disk warrior, tech tool etc with no problems found. If i try to transfer a big directory (like 45gigs) it just locks up and I have to shut it down and reboot the system. If I leave it going, sometimes the lockup re-unlocks and some more transfer happens, then it locks again later, eventually locking up completely.

This directory copies fine to the other internal drives. The Samba USB drive doesn't like it.

I'll have to try transferring it to a different enclosure to isolate the problem (drive vs case).

acomdata freeze usb samba seagate osx 10.4

3. dborja thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... I didn't have that problem. It was reliable as far as that's concerned. - Seagate, OS X 10.5.x

4. flick macrumors newbie

samba freeze solved?

Doi - I forgot that I even fiddled with the jumpers. Yesterday I tried switching the drive into an old 2nd-hand lacie firewire case and noticed the jumper setting of cable select, this time i set it to MASTER and it's been working fine, bittorrenting overnight with no problems.

(The lacie case never worked, I put it back in the samba with master jumper setting)

Can't believe I never tried the master setting - guess I thought cable-select was just as good, let the cable decide if it's master or slave, nooooo that wouldn't work....:eek:

5. dborja thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the follow up information. Yes, my drive was on the cable-select setting, too. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try the master setting as I sold the set when I upgraded to a larger capacity drive.