Acorn 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vanvalkinburgh, Apr 12, 2011.

1. vanvalkinburgh macrumors newbie

Flying Meat just released Acorn 3. I already bought the upgrade. The mac app store is still showing the old version for me.

The layer styles are pretty cool.

http://flyingmeat.com/acorn/

2. reubs macrumors 68000

I've still got Version 1.5 from some bundle a few yrs ago, and I rarely use it. Maybe it's time to uninstall it altogether.

3. gks macrumors 6502

Wow, way to be a drag. The app is now ahead of iMovie and Numbers for top grossing apps on the App Store right now. Which would imply that there are tons of people who enjoy the app. So... go ahead and uninstall it if you want but why mention it? Just trying to be an ass?

4. reubs macrumors 68000

Wow. I didn't mean for it to sound that way; I'm not a photo editing or artistic guy. It's way more powerful than I need, and I never had occasion to use it.

Flying Meat's always been great with updates and bug fixes, too, so I'm sure this is a great release. For me it's just something I picked up in a bundle, didn't have a need for it (again, not a photo or movie editing guy), and realized just now that I hadn't opened it in a while.

Great release for Flying Meat; hope they do well with it.

5. john1620b macrumors member

The free version of Acorn 2 was the best free image editor out there. It seems Flying Meat has changed it so that version 3 now watermarks your images after the 2-week trial is over. While completely understandable, I'm a bit disappointed since I won't ever be able to upgrade it now, or recommend it as a good free editor any more.

But, it looks like Flying Meat has added some cool features, so I wish them the best in being successful with it.

6. tji macrumors newbie

I bought v1.5 quite a long time ago, and have found it to be a great graphics tool for my use. I'm not a graphic designer, so I cannot justify the cost of Photoshop. But, occasionally I do need to open or edit PSD files generated by a real designer. Acorn has worked well for doing this. The other app that I use for this is Pixelmator, it's a toss up between the two for which is better. But, I prefer Acorn slightly, because it is easier for me to use.

I didn't upgrade to v2.0, because v1.5 was good enough for my needs. But, now that 3.0 was released, I bought it in the App Store. 1.5 was getting a bit dated, and I ran into more than my share of crashes with it. So, I'm hoping 3.0 is more stable, and the UI looks more polished and capable in v3.0.

Note that owners of previous versions can upgrade for $20 (I think that also applies to v1.5). But, I just bought it for $30 in the App Store, because I prefer to manage all my purchases/updates in one place.

7. tedson macrumors regular

Buying on App Store vs. directly from Acorn Website

I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy Acorn now with the new 3.0 update and the one week price reduction.

My question is whether to buy it at the App store or directly from Flying Meat on their own store. What are the pros and cons of buying directly vs. the App store?

8. vanvalkinburgh thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think there's really any advantages in buying it directly from them. If I didn't buy the upgrade, I would of bought it from the mac app store. If you buy it from the app store, then the app store will manage the updates. If you buy it directly from their site, then the app will offer you to upgrade it automatically.

If you have an app store account, then I'd just buy it from the app store.

9. gks macrumors 6502

I still buy apps from the companies websites if they offer it that way. Especially if in the past they've offered upgrade pricing. It's $20 to upgrade from Acorn 2 -> 3. But since there are no upgrade pricing options for App Store developers I am more inclined to buy from the developers site because of the scenario where they can't provide upgrade pricing so they end up charging more. Not saying it'll happen, but my odds are better at getting upgrade pricing from the developer, not from the App Store.

10. vanvalkinburgh thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't know they couldn't offer upgrade pricing in the app store, in that case I would buy directly from them.

11. john1620b macrumors member

Not to mention, if you buy on the developer's website it's likely more of your money will go directly to the developer.

12. tji macrumors newbie

I tend to buy from the App Store now. As others have mentioned, the App Store does not support upgrade pricing from non-App Store purchases or other transitions from non-App Store purchases.

Many developers are seeing their App Store revenue dwarf their direct site sales, and some are choosing to go App Store only to minimize the number of versions they need to support. There have already been examples of devs abandoning their previous users in favor of App Store (CoverSutra created a lot of controversy in this regard).

13. gks macrumors 6502

That's fine if they want to go only App Store. But if it's available on the developers website I buy it from them directly. Upgrade pricing (as a possibility) is big for me. Especially with the iterative nature of a lot of software now. I'd rather not pay full price for an app every 6 months (slight exaggeration).

It isn't difficult to support the App Store and self sold software. If the developer isn't aware of how to make different targets in xcode then they're bringing pain on themselves for not knowing how to use their development IDE. Xcode makes it easy to develop multiple copies of an app. It's a lazy way out to go only Mac App Store (at least for that reason).