Acorn v. Pixelmator - what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Jun 19, 2008.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm a big Pixelmator fan, and I've been loving it - however, a lot of people swear by Acorn - what do you guys think?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I messed around a bit with Acorn and I like Pixelmator more. I can't wait until they get save to web working (by the end of the summer hopefully).

I also tried out Iris, it's bad. It's like they thought people would pay $80 for iPhoto that has some quartz filters on it.

3. Slumbercub macrumors regular

Both are good but I prefer Acorn. Pixelmator's UI is horrible, it is impossible to see what you are doing with all that black.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I've never tried Acorn. I picked up Pixelmator in one of the bundle deals, but it still has a long way to go before I can replace Photoshop with it. I hope it happens someday. I'm quickly becoming an Adobe hater.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Acorn doesn't quite do it for me, but I find Pixelmator to be very useable. Personal preference, really - both decent low-end gfx apps and neither really offer any competition for Photoshop right now. If I had to bet on one of them eventually reaching those heights, though, Pixelmator feels like it might...

An interesting alternative to either is Iris. Like Acorn, it doesn't quite do it for me (can't get on with the UI), but YMMV :)

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Iris really isn't interesting. I opened it up and it just reeked of iPhoto knock off. It will never beat Photoshop (Pixelmator is almost even with Elements).

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Iris isn't an iPhoto knock-off - It's a very different application, other than looking vaguely similar to iPhoto due to the single-window UI. It offers much of the functionality of Acorn, but gets there a different way. I'll admit that I still don't like it much, though....

Try not to be so dismissive - just because you don't find that it works for you, doesn't mean that others will feel the same way. For instance, I've always disliked PS elements - would far rather use Pixelmator, which I would consider to be way ahead in terms of sheer usability, but that's just my preference.

FWIW I spend a good part of my working day in Photoshop (and the rest of Adobe CS3), and whilst Pixelmator is not necessarily the most powerful of the inexpensive alternatives (that probably has to be the Gimp), it's the only low-end image editor I'm comfortable using.

8. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I agree that Pixelmator still has a long way to go, but for quick image editing, it really gets the job done. And I love that it's hardware accelerated (i guess so are the rest of them too though)