Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznfreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Hi everyone, I'm a first time poster but long time lurker. Anyways the other day I came across this deal for ACP-EP ram. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this brand or has any idea about the reliability and/or compatibility with a MacBook.

This isn't too bad for $160 cdn.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
There seems to be a lot wrong with that. First, MacBooks don't take 2 GB sticks. Second, the price seems waaayyy too low to actually be a 2 GB stick. Third, while the description describes it as a 200 pin SO-DIMM, the picture is clearly not...it's a 184 pin DIMM.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Wow that is a really great price.... Almost too great. I have never heard of them before, but since it is at buy.com I would go with it and see what happens. If it doesn't work you shouldn't have much of a problem returning it.

The cheapest 2x1GB that is worth buying here in the US is ~$220. So that is a pretty good price... Definitely give it a try. Just pray it doesnt make your Mac blow up :eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Ooh...my bad. I missed the reference to 2 x 1 GB sticks. I'm still awfully leery of it though.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
There seems to be a lot wrong with that. First, MacBooks don't take 2 GB sticks. Second, the price seems waaayyy too low to actually be a 2 GB stick. Third, while the description describes it as a 200 pin SO-DIMM, the picture is clearly not...it's a 184 pin DIMM.
It's 2 x 1 GB in the listing. It's still a little low for 2 GB of RAM though.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006

Well according to the description it isnt a 2Gb stick. And it isnt a DIMM, but a So-DIMM. Lots of places don't use the actual product picture. He could always buy and see what happens. If it isnt what it says it is, he should have no problem returning it.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The description and picture on the Buy.com website are messed up.

The RAM is being offered for about half price -- so either they are taking a bath on them or there is something wrong. You cannot get DDR2 SODIMMs wholesale from any manufacturer for anywhere near that price.

Never heard of the brand before.

aznfreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Thanks for all your replies everyone.

Yes the picture in the website is DIMM and not SODIMM, but that's not my main concern. What is my main concern is the "sketchy-ness" of this company and the price that they are offering 2x1GB of RAM. I found this deal on another forum and some of the people there have bought it for their MacBooks. I'll report back on any new findings.

I was able to find the ACP-EP brand ram locally, at $165 cdn. If they offer a refund store policy, I will purchase it and see how it runs on the MacBook. Fingers crossed! :)

aznfreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Seems like the RAM is working fine, from what people on the forums are saying. I placed my order in yesterday. Hopefully it'll be here soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.