Acquired a 17" Studio Display

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Sep 28, 2016.

1. gavinstubbs09, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016

gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

So last night my friend and I were driving around the college, and at one spot there is a place where the college dumps old machines, fridges, etc that is easily accessible to anyone. So I drove by last night and saw an Apple logo and immediately stopped in my truck. Walked over to the screen, picked it up and put it into the back of my truck! My friend was like why did you just do that and I replied, because I can!

[​IMG]

So after tumbling in my truck for the remainder of last night and on my way to work today, the thing works great! Neat to have one and it'll stay at work alongside my FW800 MDD.

[​IMG]

If you're curious about what I'm doing - the iMac (Late 2012 slim one) has a failing drive so I'm using TDM and a ThunderBolt to FW800 cable to the MDD so I can try pulling what data I can off the iMac.

2. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

really cool find. i wish the collage I'm at would do things like that with older macs and apple stuff

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I have one of those, but the tube is going out, so its about to meet the dump. They have pretty good picture and the max resolution is really high. Would have liked to see it next to a 21" Trinatron with the lifetime colorsync.

4. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

yeah that would be pretty epic they are bountiful displays.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Waiting for the day when driving around the places I am at gives me a Mac. All I ever seem to run across is PC garbage.

6. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

7. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Great find! Would certainly look good with a B&W G3. I can never seem to find any good Apple products in my area (the only thing on Craigslist is an iBook G4, which I already have).

8. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Nice find! I haven't gotten one of these yet (maybe someday!) but these always remind me of my grade school because they had B&W G3s and these on stands that could be moved in and out of classrooms and presumably hook up to a protector of some sort, but I can't remember all those details. :p

9. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

Cool find! I picked one up with the QS I found but it was dead & beat on the outside so I pitched it. I agree on the B&W G3 or a hackintosh build in a B&W case. That would be sick. All I ever seem to find en masse is PC stuff too i.e.: old mini towers running XP n the like. I'm ready and waiting for the motherload mac haul though. It will happen :D

10. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Thanks guys! Display worked great all day at 1280x1024.

If I ever decide to make a G3/G4 case hackintosh, I'd pick a QuickSilver and it would look like this:

[​IMG]

Would match my displays already since they are black, and mine would be powered by an i7.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Looks like zen.state's Mac…
    [​IMG]

http://powerpcliberation.blogspot.ca/p/authors.html

12. swamprock macrumors 6502

swamprock

I had a couple of those, the 17" blue one and the larger graphite one (20"? I don't remember). I gave them away a few years ago, and even then, had trouble doing so. No one outside of collectors seems to want them. If I had or got ahold of one of the clear-shelled displays, I would have kept it, as those are quite cool.

13. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

That's a great case mod - looks like it'd be a node for HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey (showing my age...)

14. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

With the Quicksilver, you could just remove the panels and remove the silver paint, and repaint the inner sides to retain the glossy look with the new colours. Still, the same might not be/is not possible for the drive bay doors and the handles, though.

15. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

Damn that makes me feel bad. I've found 2 iBook G3s, eMac G4, PM G4 MDD, and a Power Macintosh G3

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't live in an area where the stuff people toss out is Macs. :D

Hell, I've only seen one or two PCs tossed out in the 16 years we've lived here!