Acquired Power Mac G5 1.6 with ADC card :/

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Darksol503, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Darksol503 macrumors newbie

Not new to Macs or OS X, but have never owned a Power Mac G5. I've been piecing together a music studio in my garage with this G5 being the center piece. I've been having a headache figuring out a display for this thing! :(

I have an Acer AL2016W monitor that I thought I could just hook up to port 2 (DVI)and fire it up. But alas, it simply flashes grey, shows an apple logo, than goes to a contextual floating box that says "Input not Supported" :(

So I buy a Belkin ADC to DVI adapter, and lo-n-behold, it is not compatible with DVI-I (my cable has too many prongs).

Where to go from here!? Is it a rather simple process to swap out the ADC/DVI card for one that has two DVI ports?

Also, anyone have experience with the "Formac ADC to DVI adapter"? I might look into that.

Any help appreciated.

2. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Ram a Gfx card in to the AGP slot.
    I recommend an x800xt(x) w/ atiaccelerator.
    If it is a PC card you will need to flash it in a windows PC using ATIwinflash.

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Yeah, it's straightforward. Just get such R9600 and you're set. For audio editing you don't need more powerful card. Max out the RAM BTW.

4. Darksol503 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! Ya it is currently at 2GB and will gladly brim it up to 4GB. I'm unsure what a good price would be for a used one... Any good leads on a good one?

5. Darksol503, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

Darksol503 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I noticed that this G5 is an A1047, which was the very first one. It seems to have a different PCI setup, and I am seeing that maybe both the suggested x800 XT and the 9600 might not work? Are they PCIe or x? Sorry, I have never really done internals, as I have had trusty PowerBooks and iMacs which I have only done RAM :)

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

7. Darksol503 thread starter macrumors newbie

So either or would work? That's good to know.

----------

Also, why is the monitor not being recognized? Is port 1 primary and have to be used, I thought either could be used for a single monitor.

Is it maybe because the monitor is a WSXGA+?

8. Darksol503 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm maybe buying a used Radeon 9600 on Craig's for a great price, PC version. Since he has it in a desktop already, would it be simple for him to flash it then ship, then it would be ready to go, plug and play in the G5, correct?

9. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Card is capable of 1680x1050. Try to reset PRAM first.

The problem is, that flashed 9600s are VGA-only. DVI outputs only analog signal. And only certain models are flashable (these with BGA chips).

10. Darksol503 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have reset the PRAM, following Apple specific instruction (three chimes during reboot method). Would a bad/old battery have any affect on the Acer not being supported?

I'm also looking at a Saphire x800 XT PC card, would a flashed version have the same issues as you are stating with the 9600?

I am going to be borrowing a friends Apple display to get it running so I can get more specifics of the Mac on screen. You guys have been a great help so far. I'm planning to fully upgrade this baby with 4GB Ram, whichever card is best, a 10k hard drive, Reason, and an Akai MPK-49! I hope it'll be quite the machine for music production and recording

11. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

12. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I was the opposite! I wanted a ADC port just for the fact that I could use a 22" ADC Cinema Display I had. Now it has a R9650 256MB inside with dual DVI and I ended up buying a DVI to ADC adapter.