Acquisition Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Andrew D., May 15, 2007.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

After reading around I have decided to download and try the Acquisition application. When I ran the program and tried to search for a few songs.. it took a while, kinda slow. Also, some of the files I tried to download were named "buycheapmp3.com .22 Cents" or something like that? I read somewhere that I have to open ports or something like that? I use a wireless Linksys router, I'm not sure where to configure it on there. How do I block spam searches or files that aren't even worth looking at? Should I purchase and pay for Acquisition, is it worth it? I apologize if this post is against any rules or if it is in the wrong section. Thanks a bunch!

2. Queso macrumors G4

Acquisition itself is quite legal, although it can be used to obtain both legal and pirated material (don't do it kids). I haven't used it for a while, but I do recall it had a minimum file size filter that you could set to 1MB minimum. That normally got rid of all the rubbish.

3. jreale05 macrumors regular

So how do you tell the difference between what is pirated and what is legal content? Sorry if that is a stupid question.. I just dont understand how that is legal???

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Those files you downloaded were spam. Acquisition can download files from the Limewire P2P netowrk and the Bittorrent P2P network. The Limewire network is full of spam, fakes files, and malware, avoid it.

The Acquisition program itself is largely made up of old code stolen from the bittorrent program Transmission, which is the best P2P app for OS X.

http://www.transmissionbt.com/

The Bittorrent P2P network is much better than Limewire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

You download .torrent files, then open them with Transmission, which downloads them.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can't really tell until you downloaded the file and look at it. Of course you could just look at the title of the file. If it's something you normally have to buy, then it's probably illegal.

(Yes, I know this thread is 2 years old)