Acrobat crashing - what pref am I not deleting?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Makosuke, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm trying to get a copy of Acrobat Pro (CS3 version--I think it's 8) to stop crashing on an Intel iMac and I cannot for the life of me figure out where the corrupt pref is.

The crashes started after upgrading to 10.5, and happen about 20 seconds after opening it, regardless of what you're doing; the report appears to point to the update checker causing the crash, which would make sense based on the timing.

Now, if I create a clean account on the same machine, Acrobat runs fine, so it's got to be a pref issue of some sort. The Adobe Updater run manually also works, as do the other CS3 apps installed. I did also try completely reinstalling CS3, which didn't fix it.

Thing is, I've searched for every single user pref with "Adobe" or "Acrobat" in the filename, visible or invisible, folders and files both, and deleted ALL of them, regardless of the app they specify. Caches, plists, user Library application support files (not the root /Library ones, of course), and even after a restart it STILL crashes in exactly the same way.

There's GOT to be some oddly named or hidden pref or cache file I'm missing here. Any suggestions?

2. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Finally got it fixed, so in the event someone else is searching on the same problem:

Turns out it's NOT a preference problem; it's an obscure issue with the updater plug-in that requires manually installing the fix from this Adobe tech article:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333592

...but it's bizarre to me that a fresh user account wouldn't have the same problem. Also bizarre that Adobe hasn't just rolled this fix into one of the regular updates, but then this is Adobe updater we're talking about.

Note, further, that the error messages described in that document didn't appear in any logs on the system, which had me thinking it was unrelated, but not so.