"Acrobat" PostScript Printer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by someguy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

An employee at my work has one of those fancy new aluminum iMacs, and we recently had to replace the hard drive in it due to failure.

The system is fine now, runs great, etc, but apparently there is one thing missing from before.

When she goes to print in InDesign CS4, she used to have an item called "Acrobat", or something similar, in the list of available PostScript printers. (see attached image)

I'm not sure what needs to be done to restore the functionality she had before. I went here and download PostScript Printer Driver AdobePS 8.8 - English but it appears to be for PowerPC-based Macs only.

Can anyone help?

[​IMG]

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow! You went to the Adobe site to download Adobe's PostScript print driver for MacOS 9. In MacOS X, all PostScript printers use Apple's built-in PostScript driver.

You want the PDF print driver that is part of Adobe Distiller. FWIW, it is really a CUPS filter that creates a PDF file when you print to PDF. In my experience, it is better to print to a PostScript file and then to use Distiller to distill the PostScript into PDF.

I have InDesign installed. I have used Adobe Acrobat Pro since Shep was a pup. I don't know if Distiller is bundled with ID, but Distiller is what you need.

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking all over for Distiller and am only finding copies for PPC. Do I simply need to get Acrobat Pro? Would Distiller be on one of the install disks for CS4?

4. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

So it turns out, she has Distiller installed.

Is there something I need to check, or configure so that she has the Acrobat PostScript File Printer in the list?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

During the OS reinstallation, your friend lost her printer installation(s). Use the Print & Fax preferences pane to setup the Adobe PDF printer.

6. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I tried to do this and could not figure it out. Do you happen to know what I need to do in this window to setup the printer properly?

Also, please note that she needs a PostScript File printer working. She can print to PDF already, but she used to be able to print to a PostScript file.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

From the PDF pop-up menu in the File/Print dialog box, choose Save PDF as PostScript...

8. berlinli macrumors newbie

Hi sir, I can use Adobe Postscript Printer Driver here for Mac OS X and version 8.8.