Acrylic Cinema Display Vs. Aluminum

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mtfield, Aug 5, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

I'm trying to find a nice 23" monitor and cost at the moment is a pretty big factor. I really like everything i'm hearing about the ACD and was wondering if there is any big differences between the old acrylic Cinema Display and the new(ish) aluminum display? I've seen that i can get the acrylic for a few hundred dollars less which would be nice as long as i'm not sacrificing preformance.

2. remmy macrumors 6502a

I have used a acrylic style and aluminium style before and personally I didn't notice a big difference but the stats does show that the modern aluminium does have better performance.

Also and more importantly to get the acrylic to connect to a modern mac you need to buy a adc to dvi and power cable which is a bit of pain.

3. atvbballrob macrumors newbie

I purchased the Dell 2408 and love it. What is your price range. Buying the acrylic is a gamble given how outdated they are now. If you bought one used it would be at least 4 or 5 years old

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

LCD backlights degrade over time and the panel itself might be more prone to develop stuck pixels over time - both of which would count against an old(er) Acrylic display over a new(er) Aluminum one.

5. atvbballrob macrumors newbie

in addition, given the fact there should be an update to the current LCD display, you could get one cheap after the update. Keep in mind by aiming at Apple, you in for a high priced display. Consider looking into a Nec, Dell, or HP if price is an issue.